Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson Scanner Question

Re: Epson Scanner Question

The Epson scanners have best focus slightly above the glass. You can make your own holder, or use the holders made by BetterScanning.

The BetterScanning holders let you position your film above the glass, and adjust the height via screws - so that you can get the best possible performance from your scanner.

You can see BetterScanning's comparison photos here.

You can see the results I got, here.

You can't scan 8x10 negatives, because the scanner maximum scanner coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5 inches.

You may also find it interesting to know that these scanners perform best in the Green channel. See this short article for further explanation.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 21-Jan-2011 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    T
    The BetterScanning holder does not allow you to scan 8x10 negatives, because the holder itself occupies some of the available space. However, you can make your own holder with a piece of Anti Newton Ring glass. If you search this forum, you will find many previous discussions of the subject.
    This comment is only relevant for the V700/V750 series. While you can scan 8X10 negatives on a piece of AN glace I don't believe you will be able to use enable the super duper high resolution lens that is normally enabled when you use a film holder. That is because its actual coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5".

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

>>I don't believe you will be able to use enable the super duper high resolution ... because its actual coverage is limited to approximately 8.5 X 6.5".

Correct.

>>The flat bed glass is coated <<

It is the lens that has the coating, not the flatbed glass.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Thanks for the clarification - I have corrected my post, lest someone get the wrong idea.

Thanks for the clarification - I have corrected my post, lest someone get the wrong idea.
    Ken,

There is still some confusion because you can indeed scan 8X10 with the Epson V700/V750, but when you do the other lens is engaged as you select film area guide. With this one engaged the plane of best of focus is around 1mm over the bed of the scanner, in comparison to about 3mm for the lens that is engaged when you select film holder. I believe Epson refers to one lens as the high resolution lens, and the other as the super high resolution lens.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Oops - Thank you for the further clarification.

Compared to earlier models, like the 4990, is it the presence of the better lens, which boosts the performance from ~1500 spi to ~2300 spi ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    It is the lens that has the coating, not the flatbed glass.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com
    Correct, I had it wrong.

Oops - Thank you for the further clarification.

Compared to earlier models, like the 4990, is it the presence of the better lens, which boosts the performance from ~1500 spi to ~2300 spi ?
    Ken,

That is my experience from testing. If you test with the "high resolution lens" real resolution is approximately the same as with the Epson 4990. However, if you enable the "super high resolution lens" with film holder chosen real resolution jumps to at least 2300 spi. Some folks actually report slightly higher. Unfortunately you must scan at 6300 spi to get the full 2300 spi, which will produce a very large file with RGB 4X5, and it takes a long time to scan. But for best results I would recommend scanning that way, and then reduce the resolution to about 2400 spi as soon as the scan is complete.

Some people dump on these Epson scanners but effective resolution of 2300 spi is not half bad for scanning 4X5. My experience is that very few negatives actually contain more information than 2300 spi.

Sandy

Excellent.

Again, this sounds different from the 4990, where no matter how high you scan, you don't get any more detail.

2300 samples per inch is around 94 samples per mm. To convert that into the measure we often use for lenses, would that be 47 line pairs per mm ?

Ken,

I calculate 45 lp/mm. 2300 \ 25.4 \ 2.

But 45 lp/mm is quite good for LF film. My own experience is that it is difficult to get more detail than that on film with 4X5 and larger film.

Sandy