Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Show us your guns

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Show us your guns

How about a background that's completely unexpected? Like rose petals, or Care Bears, My Little Ponies or something like that. Ann Geddes type stuff for the contrast. (Baby got Browning)

I was just thinking some more and thought long hard shadows (like bright golden hour shadows) coming down from the pistol and bullets would be cool. Lighter background of course. And perhaps prop the pistol up so it has a pistol shaped shadow. I have some other ideas too and am now inspired to try something.

The best gun illustration I've ever seen was the sleeve photo on Warren Zevon's 'Excitable Boy' record, c.1978. A .44 Colt Python presented as dinner, on a plate with vegetables... the baby carrots were carved to look like bullets. Almost life-size on the 12" square album cover. I wonder if that image is on the net?

Brisbane, Australia

I would be tempted to photograph one in a medicine cabinet, along with strong prescription medication for a troubled mind.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    How about a background that's completely unexpected? Like rose petals, or Care Bears, My Little Ponies or something like that. Ann Geddes type stuff for the contrast. (Baby got Browning)
    Or maybe a trashed living-room scattered with broken malt liquor bottles and crumpled grease-stained McDonald's paper bags. A busted banjo with strings flying out in disarray from the snapped neck lays on the floor next to a wall with banjo sized holes in the drywall. The coffee table is covered with unpaid bills piled up in disarray and empty beer cans with cigarette butts and ashes spilling out from their tops. A big unshaven dude is passed out on the couch in his coveralls with a shotgun clutched to his chest, and on the wall is a yellowed and dog-eared poster of a proud bald eagle on a waving Old Glory background.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    A big unshaven dude is passed out on the couch in his coveralls with a shotgun clutched to his chest, ...
    No, that's the expected background. The other expected background is one with gangbangers. (I saw a video of some gangbanger at his birthday party handing his loaded pistol to his two-year-old son.) The suave background is the James Bond setting.

How about warped fun-house mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't have many LF gun pictures. I have been inspired to shoot some.
    +1. I hadn't really thought of my guns as still life subjects before (or props in portraits as so excellently done in the first photo in the thread) but it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    .45 with 14 hollow points and an attitude.
    This one would look better to me if she were pointing it directly at the camera. As it is, it looks like she has murderous intent toward the viewer's left ear. (May not have known enough about guns to aim quite at the lens?)

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    May not have known enough about guns to aim quite at the lens?
    Maybe knows just enough about guns to not aim it directly at the photographer.

Or, more likely, the photographer said, DON'T AIM THAT THING DIRECTLY AT ME!!!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    Maybe knows just enough about guns to not aim it directly at the photographer.

Or, more likely, the photographer said, DON'T AIM THAT THING DIRECTLY AT ME!!!

Peter
    Been around guns all my life and I'd shoot (in photography) the photo with it pointed directly at the camera - AFTER I checked it thoroughly. No matter what anyone says, no one has EVER been shot with an unloaded gun. They've been shot with guns they THOUGHT were unloaded, which is a very different thing. Besides, being two or three inches off like that wouldn't exactly inspire a different level of confidence. If I hadn't checked it thoroughly enough to be comfortable with it pointed at me, I wouldn't be comfortable with it pointed that closely either.