Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Airports and 4x5 film

Re: Airports and 4x5 film

I carry my 4x5 wooden folder and four lenses plus loaded filmholders, meter and filters in a rolling carry-on when flying around Europe. I let everything go through the scanner. I've had to unpack to show my equipment and have had to run the camera through separately a time or two (something about not being able to see through it...). Sometimes the film gets up to 8 scans (rarely, but sometimes when I take the same unexposed holders on multiple trips). I've had no problems with x-ray damage whatsoever.

Same goes when I'm flying inside the United States, although there I usually prefer road trips.

However, when I fly back and forth between my "home bases" in Europe and the U.S., I found that lugging so much stuff around on long-haul flights was a real pain. I now keep separate camera(s) meters and common lenses in duplicate, one set on each continent; same for tripods. I just carry the few lenses and filters I need. I'm now down to carrying 12 filters (which go fine in bubble wrap in the checked baggage) a 90mm SA and my Fuji A 240mm. If I find a good deal on either of these in the future, I'll station one of them in Europe and one in the U.S. as well. This time I'm carrying an extra meter back and forth, which I used to check the accuracy of my European meter. Usually it stays in the U.S. too.

I do return to Europe with supplies from the U.S.; boxes of 4x5 film and some dry chemistry (both just for economy, since I can get everything in Europe, just at double the price). I carry the film in the carry-on, let it go through the scanner and have had zero problems (usually one to two scans to get film from the U.S. to Vienna). Chemistry goes in the checked bags. Both film and chemistry are always in factory sealed packages. I was a little concerned that the TSA might confiscate my sodium metaborate and my PMK kits, but so far, no problems.

Hope my experiences help somewhat.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Out of Plumb

A few years ago I was flying out of Denver. I had my film and camera hand check. I knew some thing was wrong when two armed guards came and stood beside my wife and I. What they found was TNT on our shoes bottom of the camera bag. The TNT was picked up from the old mines that we had visited. A general alert sent the guards. After discussing the issue with about five officials they finally asked where we had been. The swabs picked traces of TNT that was exploded over forty years ago. I now ship all of my film back home with fedex or ups
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Sorry for not directly on topic but I just came home from a trip to Amsterdam and while going through Schiphol security two ladies both obviously over 70 years old were thoroughly padded down. Perhaps logic is not in the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    Sorry for not directly on topic but I just came home from a trip to Amsterdam and while going through Schiphol security two ladies both obviously over 70 years old were thoroughly padded down. Perhaps logic is not in the equation?
    This is probably because they do a portion of pat downs pre-selected at random. They do that here in the U.S. at some airports. I have been selected at random once; I know because I asked when they did it.

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Little old ladies, and men, dying of cancer or other serious disease make great terrorists for the right price. They may want to leave a little bit of cash for the family, who knows what motive, but dont' count anyone out when it comes to being a bomb "mule."

tom

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Update on little old ladies. I just saw the story on the news where a 95-year old in wheelchair, set off alarms so she got the full search including in her adult diaper and body cavities. A security spokesman explained what I'd just posted a moment ago in including that children are favority "mules" for terrorists as well. Nice liddle teddy bear, go boom later.

When I left Bangkok, Thailand in June 1972 heading for Paris on an Air France flight, security was so tight. I had Uzi's shoved in my nose twice, one checking my bag, the other at the gate during a body pat down.

Reason, a "trusted" airport security policeman had provided a last minute gift at the gate to his ethnic-Chinese wife heading to Hong Kong to visit her family. He asked a fellow security officer to give the present to her as she'd already boarded. The bomb went off when the plane was over Pleiku or at least in central South Vietnam. Security was so tight a week later when I travelled through.

Airport security knew I was US military travelling on my own, perhaps they thought I was going to mess with the Air France 747. Who knows, but I sure got close scrutiny.

tom

I just passed through security checkpoints at DFW, London Heathrow, Nairobi, and Kilimanjaro.

No one ever rescanned my bag for its contents, or removed my film which was in one of two carry-on bags and placed inside a lead bag for protection against x-rays.

I´m glad to have tho forum back, finally..

Next tuesday I will fly to NY city. I´m thinking to shot 4x5 slides and negatives. I´m planing to buy and develop the film there in NY.

SOmeone of you could tell me the best pricey/quality places to buy film and develop it? I would like to avoid the airport scaning, so I´m thinking to turn home with the film developed.

And finally:

If I would buy 10 - 20 boxes with 4x5 film from there (in europe the price is at least triple) the customs officers will let me to bring it home? Could they make me any problem? It´s worth to do it or not?
    Philippians 4:8

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post
    I´m glad to have tho forum back, finally..

Next tuesday I will fly to NY city. I´m thinking to shot 4x5 slides and negatives. I´m planing to buy and develop the film there in NY.

SOmeone of you could tell me the best pricey/quality places to buy film and develop it? I would like to avoid the airport scaning, so I´m thinking to turn home with the film developed.

And finally:

If I would buy 10 - 20 boxes with 4x5 film from there (in europe the price is at least triple) the customs officers will let me to bring it home? Could they make me any problem? It´s worth to do it or not?
    B&H or Adorama for film. My favorite lab now is landiphotolab.com. They have good hours, too.

Please read this thread to be prepared for the hassle of using a tripod on NYC.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=tripod+law

John

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post

i never have any issues carrying film or equipment all over the world. i would say put the film in your carryon bag and let it fly. get in the nothing to declare line and you will be away.

i was asked what was in my carry on last week. it was my new-to-me 26 inch Ross petzval lens.....they just could not believe it was 19 pounds!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery