Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugo Meyer Doppel Anastigmat f5 resurrected....sort of.

Hugo Meyer Doppel Anastigmat f5 resurrected....sort of.

Been a while since I enthralled the 3 or 4 of you who care about my soft focus adventures. Here's a tale of a lens that shouldn't be soft.........or should it. A Dagor type that is f5 instead of f6.8 or 7.7 may well have never been sharp.

Is there another Hugo Meyer & Co. of Goerlitz Doppel Anastigmat f5 still extant on the planet?

Perhaps I'll never know how an example with perfect glass would behave. This is not the plasmat. I think it predates the more common plasmat and was a design experiment that is wishing for plasmat speed but still living within the constraints of a dagor type. That's my best guess. Anyone?

Re: Hugo Meyer Doppel Anastigmat f5 resurrected....sort of.

fun. so some of the shots were with both front and rear groups on the lens and two were with only the rear group? did i read that correctly?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have had a 270mm f/6.8 Hugo Meyer Doppel Anastigmat with a nice combination of soft and sharp. I sold it in what I think was my biggest mistake (in photography )... Your f/5 sample looks even better...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Jim, I am quite sure more then 3-4 people enjoy your photography and tales.

Another great job with this lens. Both the restoration and use! F5 does seem very odd to me, but I like the effect.

Thanks guys. Yes, Eddie, doppel is of course both and single is just the rear on those 2.

aaah yes, another "Sow's ear made into a silk purse". The touch of the Master....Jim Galli. SWEEEEET! I expect nothing less from you Jim. NICE. Thank you for sharing. Jon

Thanks Jon!

I found a 14 1/4" Hugo meyer doppel anastigmat but the f7.7 version under the same circumstances. It also had a terrible front cell that looked like well....
    On a whim I sent it to Focal Point to have it recemented and was amazed. It turns out what I thought was internal haze was just bad cement (it didn't look like traditional separation). I found it odd that the front cell looked like it had been through the ringer and the rear cell was clear as a bell. Could they have use different cement techniques for front and rear cells?

I know this is an old thread, but there's not much out there about these lenses so I figured I'd start here. I've got a Hugo Meyer & Co. Gorlitz and New York Double Plasmat - the front cell is 12" and the rear cell is 20.5" set in an Ilex shutter. As mentioned here, it's really heavy and large. The 12" front element says f/5.5 and the rear element is f/11. The shutter which I think is original, says 5.5. It acts like a fast lens, which is to say it's got lovely bokeh and exposures based on the 5.5 seem accurate. It's tricky though because the shutter is definitely not accurate. I think the 1/50 is about half that.

Anyway, I'm writing in to see if anyone has any more info on this. Seems that it's a precursor of sorts to many of the modern lens formulas still in use. Thanks for any thoughts.

Best,
    Nelson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0200.0131.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	85691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0200.0132.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	85692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0200.0133.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	85693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0200.0134.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	85694

Quote Originally Posted by graflexiste View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but there's not much out there about these lenses so I figured I'd start here. I've got a Hugo Meyer & Co. Gorlitz and New York Double Plasmat - the front cell is 12" and the rear cell is 20.5" set in an Ilex shutter. As mentioned here, it's really heavy and large. The 12" front element says f/5.5 and the rear element is f/11. The shutter which I think is original, says 5.5. It acts like a fast lens, which is to say it's got lovely bokeh and exposures based on the 5.5 seem accurate. It's tricky though because the shutter is definitely not accurate. I think the 1/50 is about half that.

Anyway, I'm writing in to see if anyone has any more info on this. Seems that it's a precursor of sorts to many of the modern lens formulas still in use. Thanks for any thoughts.

Best,
    Nelson
    Pretty old thing. Yes, it's a plasmat like our modern ones. Great design, but similar to the dialyt and others, 8 air glass interfaces before coatings were invented, was just too many. That's about 30% of your light that's not making an image. After WWII these designs came into their own because anti-reflection coatings solved those problems. To this day, a coated Artar is worth about 3 times what a non coated one is worth. I'll guess it at about 1940.