Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping gear from getting stolen...

Re: Keeping gear from getting stolen...

Install one of these on your car - alternatively, install it on your 8x10.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

I've thought about buying a magnetic sign for the side of my truck that says:

Homeless Shelter Transport

or

Medical Waste Transport Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    It doesn't hurt to drive a vehicle that looks every bit of it's 250,000 miles. My mechanic keeps it in great shape and nobody else gives it a second thought so far.
    It doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on that as your only security... When I was in college, I had a '73 Chevy 4x4 with a 4" lift, 35" tires, and covered in primer and rust. It was pure ugly... I had a bunch of expensive stereo equipment hidden behind the seat (you had to look for it to find it). I kept it parked in the alley behind my house...sure enough, one night some bozo got into it and cleaned it out. I've had three of my vehicles broken into over the years (and I live in relatively crime free places). Now I just don't leave anything in the car worth stealing. When I take gear out for a shoot, it's pretty rare that I bring more than I'm going to actually pack with me (unless I'm shooting a wedding or something when I bring a ton of gear).
    If you're going to be leaving a lot of gear in the car a lot, a locking box bolted to the floor seems like it would be the best bet. If a thief is determined enough, they'll find a way to get your stuff...but deterring the smash and grab crowd will probably keep it safe. Insuring your gear is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    Also, "special inland marine policies for musicians" made no sense to me at all.
    An "inland marine" policy is sort of insurance jargon for a marine-type policy (that covers cargo) for use in non-marine situations. Any time you buy insurance for equipment when it is outside the home, it will be some variation of an inland marine policy.

Rick "yes it's confusing" Denney

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by toolbox View Post
    It doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on that as your only security... When I was in college, I had a '73 Chevy 4x4 with a 4" lift, 35" tires, and covered in primer and rust. It was pure ugly... I had a bunch of expensive stereo equipment hidden behind the seat (you had to look for it to find it). I kept it parked in the alley behind my house...sure enough, one night some bozo got into it and cleaned it out. I've had three of my vehicles broken into over the years (and I live in relatively crime free places). Now I just don't leave anything in the car worth stealing. When I take gear out for a shoot, it's pretty rare that I bring more than I'm going to actually pack with me (unless I'm shooting a wedding or something when I bring a ton of gear).
    If you're going to be leaving a lot of gear in the car a lot, a locking box bolted to the floor seems like it would be the best bet. If a thief is determined enough, they'll find a way to get your stuff...but deterring the smash and grab crowd will probably keep it safe. Insuring your gear is a good idea too.
    A '73 Chevy would have been new when I was in college!
    Keith Pitman

Keith, this is not intended as one-upsmanship, but it does bring up old memories. Two years out of college, I bought a ’58 Chevy new (what a beast, overpowered and under-cooled!) which I traded in 4 yrs later for a new Mercedes roadster (yeah, those were the days) which was adequate for my 35mm stuff. Another 4 yrs passed and I got hooked by LF and the vehicles have grown bigger and bigger and bigger ever since, and you won’t hear me complaining.

From my travelling musician days-In fast food locations,sit where your cor is in full view.

I really like the Tesla system, the trunk monkey sounds good, but the P could start to develope the film. We had Rotwielers, but they wore out the springs in the old Saab that nobody got near. You should have seen that car hop up and down when that 125 lb bitch barked when someone mistakenly walked by...

So in my darkly tinted '93 paint faded Land Cruser I use PPA.com insurance. For 323/yr (29/mo) You get $15,000 of coverage paid for by joining PPA that covers "Loss due to fire, theft or equipment breakage Worldwide, off-premises or “on location” coverage" called PhotoCare.

I hope to never make a claim, but If I do better than crying in my beer.

John

http://www.ppa.com/joinppa/

PS. I worked on a boat years ago, that laid over in Old Port of San Juan, PR, we hired the dock masters brother to watch the boat, gave him a gun to stand watch & he took off with the gun - you never know....
    Last edited by searover; 22-Aug-2012 at 20:41. Reason: Spelling

Nah... nothing about that rig smacks of POS car

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Like this one?
    That would be one of the most attractive vehicles to drug addicts, meth cooks, etc on any wayside up and down the Oregon Coast. If you parked that for at least two hours in every wayside up and down the coast, you would likely get an attempt at break-in three out of five waysides.

I drove an old suburban... 1969, with plenty of rust through around the rockers. I installed a metal (thick plate) tool box from a small pickup in the back along the side. Overlapping lids, massive center hinges and bulletproof Stanley locks with protected locking bar, precluding bolt cutters. Rigged this up after losing one very expensive camera on a Coast trip. This box was welded to the floor in the back of the Suby. Even at that, still got an occasional broken window. Never lost anything though after they saw the box. I did not attempt to hide the box. Once they saw the security and trouble to get into it, they rarely attempted anything. I've never seen a parking lot thief carry a cutting torch.

Keep a tiger in there.

Steve.