Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Klukas joining Arca Swiss

Re: Rod Klukas joining Arca Swiss

IMHO, it's certainly a wise business strategy for Arca Swiss!

Rod's terrific to work with and certainly knows his stuff!

Hopefully, he becomes the "official" Canadian rep!

I wish him all the best in his new position!

Cheers,
    Life in the fast lane!

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    Gee, why would you think that? People change jobs all the time. It's not like Arca is all they sell or he is their only employee.

Mike
    I note that you are from Tennessee.
    Perhaps you've never visited Photomark? Or don't know Rod personally? (I've known Rod as a friend, not just a sales person, since 1988).

Photomark is now a mere shadow of what it was back in the early 1990's when Rod moved over to Photomark from Tempe Camera (not surprisingly, Tempe Camera stopped selling LF gear shortly afterwards since they didn't have someone that knew the products as well as Rod). Photomark in the mid-1990s used to stock one each of all the lenses in Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon and even Fuji. They always stocked 4x5 and 8x10 AS as well as other brands. Want a spare part for your Arca like a brainbox? Meter bridge? No problem. Well that was the old days...

What Rod isn't telling you may be the key factor -- you can observe it for yourself at the Photomark store -- just how much inventory in LF is Photomark carrying now? Its hard to sell what you don't have in the store. A lot of sales were from people walking in the door and Rod showing them how to use some new item (I know - I bought lots when I was in Phoenix. So did a lot of other LF afficionados). Rod sold lots of Arca, as well as lenses, Jobo gear, and Leica gear. These days, if it wasn't in stock he could order it into the store for you but delivery times are a lot longer than just personally ordering direct from New York (or even Amazon, for items except AS cameras.). I bet it is hard to make sales figures (monthly, quarterly, annually) if you can't close the deal on the spot these days. Its like digging a ditch with a teaspoon -- you just aren't equipped properly for success on the job.

--> Rod's a great advocate for LF. Arca Swiss is fortunate to have acquired his talents.

Frankly I am surprised that Rod stayed as long as he did at Photomark.

I flew from Milwaukee to Phoenix to get my 141 f metric and Cube. Rod is great...Evan
    Clarke

I think that LF sales are not as good as a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    I note that you are from Tennessee.
    Perhaps you've never visited Photomark? Or don't know Rod personally? (I've known Rod as a friend, not just a sales person, since 1988).

Photomark is now a mere shadow of what it was back in the early 1990's when Rod moved over to Photomark from Tempe Camera (not surprisingly, Tempe Camera stopped selling LF gear shortly afterwards since they didn't have someone that knew the products as well as Rod). Photomark in the mid-1990s used to stock one each of all the lenses in Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon and even Fuji. They always stocked 4x5 and 8x10 AS as well as other brands. Want a spare part for your Arca like a brainbox? Meter bridge? No problem. Well that was the old days...

What Rod isn't telling you may be the key factor -- you can observe it for yourself at the Photomark store -- just how much inventory in LF is Photomark carrying now? Its hard to sell what you don't have in the store. A lot of sales were from people walking in the door and Rod showing them how to use some new item (I know - I bought lots when I was in Phoenix. So did a lot of other LF afficionados). Rod sold lots of Arca, as well as lenses, Jobo gear, and Leica gear. These days, if it wasn't in stock he could order it into the store for you but delivery times are a lot longer than just personally ordering direct from New York (or even Amazon, for items except AS cameras.). I bet it is hard to make sales figures (monthly, quarterly, annually) if you can't close the deal on the spot these days. Its like digging a ditch with a teaspoon -- you just aren't equipped properly for success on the job.

--> Rod's a great advocate for LF. Arca Swiss is fortunate to have acquired his talents.

Frankly I am surprised that Rod stayed as long as he did at Photomark.

Been there, done that, bought from him. Lived in Phoenix twice (first time when the city actually ended with orange groves at Bethany Home). Even purchased from Tempe (and I know how to pronounce it) Camera. Fred & Dennis at the View Camera Store are good friends whom I buy from regularly.

All camera stores are mere shadows of what they were 20 years ago. That Rod is going to be able to assist Arca is wonderful, but does not change my comment. Part of my concern is that random commmets on the web have a way or reverberating into rumors that are not substantiated. The comments here and on APUG about the death of this or that film or paper are rampant and not always true. If business is tough, it does not need to be made "tougher" by commentary without backup facts.

Without more, does his leaving mean they are getting out of large format or that Rod is getting a wonderful job (and Arca is getting a great rep)?
    That's all.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Jones; 4-Jan-2011 at 12:44. Reason: addition

We're are own worst enemies, I bet I am not the only one who will check something out in person at a brick and mortar store and then go shop for it cheaper online....

If you really want to see the goods these days, your best bet is a trade show, not a retail store.

Or just buy it and return it, or resell it.

What Arca and other LF companies should do is use customers as sales reps that can demo their own gear and also coach people with large format. Pass them a discount code or freebie, win-win. Right now they make zero sales effort - I mean an ad in View Camera magazine is like preaching to the choir.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    We're are own worst enemies, I bet I am not the only one who will check something out in person at a brick and mortar store and then go shop for it cheaper online....

If you really want to see the goods these days, your best bet is a trade show, not a retail store.

What Arca and other LF companies should do is use customers as sales reps that can demo their own gear and also coach people with large format. Pass them a discount code or freebie, win-win. Right now they make zero sales effort - I mean an ad in View Camera magazine is like preaching to the choir.
    Great idea as ever Frank...but seeing as Arca don't even have a web site I think your idea may be a too left field for them....may be a company like Ebony would take it up.
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Frank,

Not everyone wants strangers that they do not have any type of relationship with contacting them to come and see and handle their property. Especially high end products. In fact, some owners would rather that we don't give their names out or tell others what they own. There could very easily be some liability questions that we could be exposed to if something were to happen.

If there were regular meetings and get-togethers of owners of the equipment then it would be a different situation.

Personally, as someone who was robbed of $25,000.00 of medium format and 35mm equipment on a trip to France in 1985, I do not look for people that I don't know to know what I do have.

Fred Picker had a volunteer program for a while, for Zone VI camera owners to be available to show off their camera to potential buyers. I gave them my contact info but no one ever called...

Rod's new email is

Rod.Klukas@Arca-Swiss.com
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon