Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is an an enlarger lens unusable?

Re: When is an anlarger lens unusable?

Perhaps it is a case of the seller does not know what a really good lens will do.

Lots of incorrect or misleading information here. "Cleaning marks" is usually a euphemism for scratches or other damage to the glass. Dust inside the lens isn't the main problem with enlarger lenses (or any other lens for that matter). Lenses aren't manufactured in clean rooms. All lenses, even brand new out of the box, will have some dust inside but that isn't generally a problem. OTOH multiple scratches on the glass usually are a problem.

I'd return the lens even if it works properly if for no other reason than the fact that these problems will seriously affect its resale value if you ever want to sell it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Lots of incorrect or misleading information here. "Cleaning marks" is usually a euphemism for scratches or other damage to the glass. Dust inside the lens isn't the main problem with enlarger lenses (or any other lens for that matter). Lenses aren't manufactured in clean rooms. All lenses, even brand new out of the box, will have some dust inside but that isn't generally a problem. OTOH multiple scratches on the glass usually are a problem.

I'd return the lens even if it works properly if for no other reason than the fact that these problems will seriously affect its resale value if you ever want to sell it.
    Brian,

Yes I wrote to the seller today
    that I want full refund, purchase cost and all shipping costs.

I made him clear that he didn't state the damage and/or
    packaged wrong what eventuelly caused the damages - in the case the lens was as good as he "feels" when he packaged it. Now he can choice for himself
    what mistake he prefers .

Andi
    Last edited by sanchi heuser; 29-Dec-2010 at 11:37. Reason: typo

Re: When is an an enlarger lens unusable?

Brian is right. Cleaning marks are scratches that a seller doesn't want to call scratches. If the listing didn't mention the cleaning marks or scratches ask for your money back. A Nikkor that is scratched up isn't worth much since nice ones can be so easily found.

I have learned on ebay that it always pays to ask about anything not mentioned in the listing. Is the lens "free of dust"? Does that mean it has no haze? No fungus? If you ask those specific questions before you bid and the seller denies it you're in a strong position if you find out they were not truthful. The definition of "clean glass" is pretty flexible.