Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which Linhof model is it

Re: which Linhof model is it

Be sure to check on the cams. There should be one for each lens with serial number and camera serial number engraved, if the owner bought them. These are little flat pieces of metal that have grooves machined into them at one end and a machined edge to match the optical characteristics of the lens.

I am guessing that the owner would have had cams for the lenses because it is a rangefinder camera with the optical viewfinder. He likely used it at times as a hand held camera. From that era it would not have been unusual for him to have been doing some press photography. There might be one located in the camera bed. The others she may have to search out.

I would also ask about what she means by 'painted.' Does this mean that there is no covering on the camera now? Is it bare metal? Or is it paint on metal? The photo seems to indicate that it has the original leatherette. Certainly no one would paint the leatherette silver. Would they?

Is it in a location where you can inspect it? Test the shutters at all speeds to see if they are reasonable, or do they stick? They won't be accurate. They never are. But they should be close.

Does it have infinity stops for each lens. In addition, are there focusing scales on the edge of the camera bed? Are there any other film holders (double sided) that come with the camera.
    al

Thank you Bob. It's a good idea to contact Linhof.
    I'll try to do it soon.

Is the Model V more reliable or easier to maintain ?

It's very unusual these days to find a Tech IV that also has lenses and cams with matching serial numbers. Plus the cams are unimportant unless you plan to use the rangefinder, which most Technika owners don't do, they use the ground glass instead. I also wouldn't worry about infinity stops or distance scales, these too are primarily for use with the rangefinder and are unimportant to you unless you expect to be using the rangefinder.

I wouldn't buy a camera like this sight unseen from someone like the woman with whom you're dealing, who apparently knows nothing about the camera and isn't going to be able to answer any questions or provide any information. It's not a good way to buy any camera but particularly a Tech IV. Repairs to Technikas tend to be expensive and parts availability could be a real issue with a Tech IV if it needs repairs. I believe the only cameras for which Linhof still makes parts available are the Master Technikas, not the Tech Vs and earlier versions.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you Al and Brian.

The camera is several hundred miles from where I live and the woman know very little about it. If you where me, what choice will you do between :

- this camera with the 3 lenses (and a few unanswered questions) at about 1500 $
    - a model V with only a symmar s 150 / 5.6 in very fine condition and recently used by a pro who asserts it works very well at 1200 $
    - a beautiful master classic also with the same symmar lense and a grip, like new, at 3000 $ ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    It's very unusual these days to find a Tech IV that also has lenses and cams with matching serial numbers. Plus the cams are unimportant unless you plan to use the rangefinder, which most Technika owners don't do, they use the ground glass instead. I also wouldn't worry about infinity stops or distance scales, these too are primarily for use with the rangefinder and are unimportant to you unless you expect to be using the rangefinder.

I wouldn't buy a camera like this sight unseen from someone like the woman with whom you're dealing, who apparently knows nothing about the camera and isn't going to be able to answer any questions or provide any information. It's not a good way to buy any camera but particularly a Tech IV. Repairs to Technikas tend to be expensive and parts availability could be a real issue with a Tech IV if it needs repairs. I believe the only cameras for which Linhof still makes parts available are the Master Technikas, not the Tech Vs and earlier versions.
    Some IVs and Vs still have parts. Some Masters do not, depending on the part. The Master was introduced in 1973 so an old Master could have been used longer then many other camera brands have been made!

Quote Originally Posted by tweenkle View Post
    Thank you Al and Brian.

The camera is several hundred miles from where I live and the woman know very little about it. If you where me, what choice will you do between :

- this camera with the 3 lenses (and a few unanswered questions) at about 1500 $
    - a model V with only a symmar s 150 / 5.6 in very fine condition and recently used by a pro who asserts it works very well at 1200 $
    - a beautiful master classic also with the same symmar lense and a grip, like new, at 3000 $ ?

Thanks
    I think there is a lot of embellishment with descriptions. A like new more then 20 year old camera could mean that it is going to need service. To be like new after that many years it has not been used very much. Lubricants dry up, bellows can dry out, etc.. So take selling descriptions with a large grain of salt from people you don't know.

Bob is right again, even a Master can be close to 30 years old and the bellows dried out, the chassis in need of alignment and lube, etc.

Not saying those aren't good deals but you have to get all the details, good images, know the seller's reputation and rights of return. I certainly know that $1500 on an unknown IV is more than I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Bob is right again, even a Master can be close to 30 years old
    Frank,

Next year is the 38th anniversary of the first Master! Possibly older then many participants on the forum!
    But then again, my wife and I will celebrate our 48th anniversary this year so maybe 38 years isn't all that long ago!

It's a testament to it being a good design, like the Deardorff, Leica, Rollei, etc. to be so long lasting with only incremental changes.

I doubt we'll be seeing any 38-year-old Canon or Nikon DSLRs other than in museums....

Why not buy Craig's Technika? It's priced right and he is a good seller.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=70400