Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air-Travel with tripod

Re: Air-Travel with tripod

I have a fairly sizable Giottos tripod (only has 2-section legs). By removing the center column/head and unscrewing the feet, I'm able to just fit it in my carry-on diagonally. Insulated liberally with clothes, I've never had a problem with it being damaged in transit.

My Tiltall has made it as checked luggage without incident through many flights. I put it into the flimsy vinyl case with all the handles in their pockets.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Remove the head, wrap the metal base, leg knobs and handles in thick material first in case of heavy shock, and then wrap the whole tripod (spikes turned in) in thick heavy duty bubble wrap, and it's good to check in, even for a heavy A200. Wrapped this way, it is far too thick for its bag, but is protected against drops/shock etc which could be encountered with checked-in luggage. My Ries made it home safely this way via both small jet within USA and intercontinental flights with multiple baggage transfers.

I guess you could expect them to throw another heavy suitcase on top of whatever it is that you check, or throw your item a few feet onto a hard surface.

I've transported a CF Gitzo 3 series in checked luggage, with the tripod inside the original carton, then placed diagonally across the middle of a hard shell suitcase. It just fits & the tripod does not move around inside at all. No problems so far.

A Ries would probably not need as much protection, but I understand that a good side impact on CF tripod can break it.