Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Getting into 5x7 - advice?

Re: Getting into 5x7 - advice?

I have a 5x7 back on a Kodak 2D, also. Nice way to use a 28" lens with 5x7 or 8x10 (a 12-21-28 Turner Reich). I did buy a smaller version for 5x7 -- I can walk around with it on the tripod easier than the 8x10.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Wow. ROL - inspirational work!
    Thanks. But, I do think of myself as "Riverman"

I'm picking up a B&J 5x7 field camera from these forums. Looking forward to using the new format. I want to use it with my Schneider 180mm f5.6 Macro Symmar HM lens or my Schneider Super-Angulon XL 5.6 90mm with a recessed lens board. Has anyone use this combination? I will do black and white work.

Interesting thread.

I'm currently thinking about moving to a larger format sometime in the future and that the Chamonix 5x8 might be the way to go. In terms of image size, not significantly different to 5x7, although the slightly wider format may be attractive in some landscape shots. However one big advantage I see in 5x8 is the ease of getting film. Unlike 5x7, for which the writing may be on the wall, it seems to me that the future of 8x10 is looking quite safe; it requires just one cut to produce 2 5x8s from an 8x10.
    Any thoughts on 5x8 as a format, and on the Chamonix in particular? Thanks,

Baz.

Quote Originally Posted by ElRooster View Post
    I'm picking up a B&J 5x7 field camera from these forums. Looking forward to using the new format. I want to use it with my Schneider 180mm f5.6 Macro Symmar HM lens or my Schneider Super-Angulon XL 5.6 90mm with a recessed lens board. Has anyone use this combination? I will do black and white work.
    Not shure the 90mm will work. I use a 180mm fujinon a and a 210mm lens. Will a 180mm macro symmar cover at infinity? You will have plenty of bellows reach for close work, a B&J cant be fitted with a sliding tripod block and it does not have front standard focusing like a 2D, which is why I bought a 2D myself (The seller was a little economical with the truth and it is away having some work done on the 5x7 back).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Interesting thread.

I'm currently thinking about moving to a larger format sometime in the future and that the Chamonix 5x8 might be the way to go. In terms of image size, not significantly different to 5x7, although the slightly wider format may be attractive in some landscape shots. However one big advantage I see in 5x8 is the ease of getting film. Unlike 5x7, for which the writing may be on the wall, it seems to me that the future of 8x10 is looking quite safe; it requires just one cut to produce 2 5x8s from an 8x10.
    Any thoughts on 5x8 as a format, and on the Chamonix in particular? Thanks,

Baz.
    Just get a cheap 5x7, to try things out. A new 5x8 is a nice thought, but once you have spent megabucks on new film holders and hours scratching 8x10 film to within an inch of its life in the pitch black, you will wish you had just got a 5x7 and some buggered old holders. Will your Angulon cover 5x8?

PS I may be selling my very tidy B&J in a month or two and it is already in the district.

Barry, I have a Chamonix 5x8 - an incredible camera - it just takes seconds to cut 8x10 film into two equal pieces that fit the Chamonix holders perfectly - IMO a much better option than 5x7

I'm new to 5x7, but I've had a 4x5 and 8x10 close to thirty years.
    Here is my Sinar Norma 5x7 ready to go.
    It's has it's distinct advantages.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    Barry, I have a Chamonix 5x8 - an incredible camera - it just takes seconds to cut 8x10 film into two equal pieces that fit the Chamonix holders perfectly - IMO a much better option than 5x7
    I concur with Robert, 5x8 is very easy to cut down from 8x10, and I don't have any more scratches on 5x8 fim (cut down by myself) than I have on 13x18cm and half-plate both of which are factory cut...

And the Chamonix 5x8 is a wonderful camera...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I'm new to 5x7, but I've had a 4x5 and 8x10 close to thirty years.
    Here is my Sinar Norma 5x7 ready to go.
    It's has it's distinct advantages.
    I see that you have the Sinar Shutter along with the cable that works with the film holder. Could you please explain how that cable works ?