Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting into 5x7 - advice?

Getting into 5x7 - advice?

Merry Christmas everyone

I find the 5x7 format appealing and I'd like to give it a try in 2011. In my current 4x5 kit I have two f8 Nikkors (the SW 90mm and the M 200mm).

- Am I right in thinking that these would both be useful lenses for 5x7 (albeit with considerably wider field of view and less movement than 4x5)?

Also, my current tripod set-up is quite heavy/bulky for 4x5 so I'm hoping it could accommodate a 5x7 field camera. The tripod is an aluminium Gitzo GT2331 and the geared head is a Manfrotto 410.

- Do you think that this combo can accommodate something like the Canham metal 5x7?

Finally, film wise. I do enjoy shooting and printing C-41 especially Kodak Portra. I gather that 160 is obtainable via Badger but it has to be a special order. Moreover, this time next year I'll be back in the UK where, as far as I can tell, 5x7 colour materials are all but unobtainable.

- What are my best options for 5x7 film (colour or b&w - and preferably an emulsion I can obtain either side of the pond)?

Finally, grateful to hear thoughts on the format from anyone else who has craved 5x7 and made the step up.

Re: Getting into 5x7 - advice?

Hello! and merry Christmas and happy holidays to you!

When I moved up from 4x5 to 5x7, it was just a matter of slapping on a 5x7 back of my Indian copy of a Deardorff Special and getting some 5x7 holders. My Gitzo 301 and Gitzo Ballhead #2 was put under no addition strain, and the 210mm I had covered well.

So in most cases, I think that if it works for 4x5, it will work with 5x7. Others will have to help you with the coverages of your present lenses.

At the time of my switch, I was just starting out in alt processes (carbon printing) so was looking for a larger negative to contact print. The only RA4 printing I have done is with 120 roll film. I like Ilford FP4+ for what I do and the HP5+ is also a fine film, so both sides of the pond will be good for those.

I started out with a Rollei (square format ) and moved to 4x5. Skipped 35mm altogether. So working with 5x7 and its proportions was new to me and I enjoyed it.

I hope you have a great 5x7 New Year!

Vaughn

Here is a chart of 5x7 lenses; the image circle required is 208mm, you'll find lots of lenses listed here that cover the format, including your Nikkors. Your 200 just makes it, not much wiggle room, while the 90 gives you some movements.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF5x7in.html

Cheers!

Cheers Ari. Thanks for the lens chart link!

Octogenarian

I use a Canham MQC57 as my primary camera.

It's relatively light weight, and your tripod and head should be capable of supporting it.

However, the two lenses that you mention will barely cover 5x7. I found my Nikkor f8 90SW to be too wide for 5x7, and I use it for 4x5.

Sold the Nikkor F8 200M because of it's limited movements for the 5x7 format.

A Nikkor f8 120SW, f5.6 180W, or f5.6 210W are better choices for 5x7. Perhaps you can trade with somebody.

I have a 4x5 sheet film and a 6x17 roll film back for my MQC57. That makes for a very versatile camera.

I use Ilford HP-5+ 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film for B&W, and Kodak Ektar100 120 roll film for color

It is not only difficult to find 5x7 color film, but it is also difficult to find a lab. willing to process it.

I've been coming into this format from another direction: a 5x7 back happened to come with an 8x10 2D I purchased a couple of months ago. I hadn't thought about going to this format, already having lots of stuff for 4x5 and 8x10 formats. But the vintage lenses I own, while useful in 8x10, offer slightly longer and cleaner looks in the smaller 5x7 size, and the film is way cheaper, without giving up much of the 8x10 look (very shallow dof). Plus the holders take up way less space. The size referred to as "full plate" is 6 1/2x8 1/2, IIRC, which means the 5x7 format is pretty close to the standard size of a century ago, so the selection is usable vintage lenses seems to be a bit larger (and cheaper) than for 8x10.

So, for me, its not about finding the one perfect format, but rather having the option to get different looks with the existing lens collection. Weight-wise I'm already committed to the Kodak 2D for the front standard's sturdiness with older lenses, but the smaller holders offer advantages for big shoots.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Also, if you're looking for versatile lenses, the older Fujinon W lenses, with the writing on the inside of the barrel, usually have quite large image circles, and many can be used with 8x10 cameras. They're excellent optics and not very pricy either.

My lens is not on the list. Computar Symmetrigon 210mm f6.3. Plenty of coverage (have never run out doing landscapes) and sharp. In a Copal 1. I think of it as a small lens, but I am use to my other 8x10 lenses, LOL! Not expensive as it is not that well known and it does not have the massive coverage of the Computar f9's. The 210/6.3 does not cover 8x10 in landscape work.

I started in 4x5 and have found my place with a 5x7. It is a wonderful format. Shanghai film can be had inexpensivly on ebay and FP4 is readily available. TMax 400 is very expensive and co-op order only through Canham. Use a 4x5 reducing back for colour work, film is easier to get and process. 5x7 film can be hard to process if you dont have a darkroom, 4x5 is easy with the taco method.

I have tried 240mm, 180mm and 210mm and to me a 210mm lens feels standard, like a 50mm on a 35mm camera. There is very good demand for 200M Nikkors so you could easily sell it and get a f5.6 210mm lens with more coverage.

I use a 180mm and a 250mm, which are a little on the wide and long sides of normal for the format. My 180, badged as a Horseman (a Rodenstock, maybe??) covers the format with some movement. The older 250mm f6.7 Fuji is a gem that renders beautifully and never runs out of coverage on 5X7. I've also pulled the Nikon 90mm f8 SW out of my 4X5 kit upon occasion; it is very wide for 5X7, and allows a little movement. I'd love to have a 120mm SW instead, but they are quite large.

Enjoy the 5X7, they make beautiful little contact prints.
    Last edited by hmf; 25-Dec-2010 at 13:25. Reason: omission