Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for Photographing in Eugene, Oregon

Re: Suggestions for Photographing in Eugene, Oregon

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=831

U of O has a great campus actually, and a very good school of architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=831

U of O has a great campus actually, and a very good school of architecture.
    Thanks Frank, it actually was those two photographs that got me thinking about UofO as a place to go.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

There's a Kingsford charcoal plant there.

Re: Brian... here is a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    But I'm beginning to get the idea that Eugene may suffer from the same syndrome Bend does only twice as much.
    The tearing down and replacing that's been prevalent in Bend for the last twenty plus years was taking place in Eugene during the 70's and early 80's.

There is one way to get the lay of the city, and you may pick up some sights to drive to in the city for architecture. I just don't recall how much old architecture remains.

Drive up to the top of Skinners Butte (near 8th/9th street and the Willamette river). On the back side of the butte (willamette River side) there is the old Skinner cabin, built when settlement of Eugene took place. On the front side of the butte there is a road to the top. If you go up and look out over the city, you are very close to the downtown and most of the structures that make up the city. You can also see the taller buildings at the University. The river is also in view from there. On the back side is a climbing area of Granite Pillars. Not real tall, but very vertical and always loaded with climbers.

There is the Hult Center for the Performing Arts, near the base of the butte on 6th street. Also near the Eugene Hotel. The Hult Center is reputed to have the best acoustics on the West Coast and is a stately contemporary structure. Mason Williams, the classic guitarist rowed a canoe (in full tuxedo) from his home up the Willamette river (about 20 miles) for the Grand Opening of the Hult Center in 1982.

Hult Center Link: http://www.hultcenter.org/

Spencer Butte is at the far South outer limits of the city and the views are spectacular in many directions. However, no road to the top and it's about a two hour hike to the top.

About 8 miles West of Eugene is a very large reservoir near a town called Veneta. Lots of sailing there.

Guess I can think of a few places to photograph as I continue reminiscing.

Have a good trip.

The American STUD Company in Springfield.

You could always go find Ken Kesey's farm....

Brownsville, about 20 miles North, is a historic early settlement.

On your way over, if you like cliffs, I always thought http://www.hoodoo.com/ ski area had some nice views right from the parking lot, might be good for a landscapist.

From downtown Eugene go West on 6th ave. till you come to the Union Pacific overpass, a scrap metal recycler is to your right just as you come to the overpass. Around this area there are some older industrial buildings to explore. If you continue North on Highway 99 and 99E you arrive in Junction City and Harrisburg, small towns also with older buildings. Continuing *North on Highway 99E there is Halsey, Shedd and Tangent smaller towns prior to Albany which I photograph in quite a bit. This is grass seed and sheep raising country.

If your really adventurous you can walk the UP tracks West from the downtown Eugene Amtrak Depot, but keep an eye out for the railroad bulls.

From the Eugene Water & Electric building downtown you can walk a path East along the South side of the Willamette River toward the U Of O campus.*

Then there is always Springfield!

JP
    Eugene, Or

Smile Re: Suggestions for Photographing in Eugene, Oregon

I might add that Eugene is an anarchist town full of hopped-up university students and taser toting cops with itchy trigger fingers.*
    JP
    Eugene, Or

As another optional activity - try visiting the Emerald Art Center in Springfield.

Until Jan. 7th they have an exhibit of photography by members of Spectrum Gallery in Fresno, Ca. ( visiting artists ).

The Emerald Art Center is at 500 Main Street in Springfield.

I can attest that there is at least one ( moi ) large format photographer represented there...

Regards,
    Terry
    www.terrryhayden.com

Here is a good link with a catalog of images of the most interesting buildings on the U.of O. campus ... gives a pretty good idea of the most interesting for photography: Link

Jim Graves (Class of '68) -- Go Ducks!

Thanks for the additional information, especially Jim's photographs, that's really helpful. Eugene is looking better so I think I'll proceed as planned.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.