Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Death Valley Advice re Racetrack & Saline Valley

Re: Need Death Valley Advice re Racetrack & Saline Valley

Here's the camp I was thinking of:

http://digital-desert.com/aguereberry-camp/

A little bit of it disappears every time I stop by. There was a water tank made from an aluminum sea plane float but somebody decided they had to recyle that...

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I've seen lots and lots of rental cars do it.
    You mean go over the hill ( !!) from the Racetrack onto Saline Valley Road?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

No, I was answering the question about whether the drive to Agueberry (never can spell that) Point was doable in a rental car. It is most definitely not paved unless this happened in the last 9 months, neither is the road to Skidoo (which is very similar and also branches off the same paved highway) and takes you to the former Skidoo townsite with an impressive stamp mill they are now trying to brace up to stop from falling over.

And for the 'go for it, it is just a rental' crowd, the recently solved 13 year mystery disappearance of 4 tourists is worth keeping in mind. February isn't summer, but still, you have to respect the desert -- always.

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20091114-23273.html

I'm leaning toward getting one of those "spot" devices so that my own long distance solo trips in Death Valley won't be quite so totally idiotic as they are now.

I would recommend going slow on the road to the Racetrack. I have seen many vehicles with flat tires, including 4x4's with off road tires. I also drove past a car with a punched oil pan. It is totally doable in a passenger car, but regardless of vehicle, I recommend taking your time.

Drew Wiley

Richard, I once broke down on the old road between the Racetrack and Saline, and its a very interesting story how I got out, which I won't relate here. The locals had
    quite a few macabre stories about people found dead along that track from time to time. The current wave of storms is significant, so I would hope anyone venturing that direction would call about road conditions in advance. The Agueberry (sp?) viewpoint road isn't too rough, but snowy conditions might mandate 4WD, if open at
    all. Flashflood damage somewhere is almost inevitable this winter.

Drew Wiley

Kevin - I was at that mining camp maybe three years ago in Feb. Still some interesting things left. As I recall, it's not very far along the Aug-whatever-bery road, just off its intersection from the Wildrose road, well before the muddier sections leading to the overlook itself.

The camp is just five minutes from the paved road.

Michael E. Gordon

I've spent a considerable amount of time in DVNP and have driven all the roads, paved and rugged 4WD. My opinion? If you're staying in Furnace Creek and need to return there, trying to cram more than one destination into a day will result in a rather shallow experience but lots of miles driven.

Saline Valley is not a drive-by experience; do it right and spend several days there and camp. There is no other way to properly experience it. North Pass and South Pass can be closed to snow and ice even in Feb, so you best check road conditions before heading to Saline. Do not attempt Steel Pass or Lippincott Mine Rd without 4WD and sufficient experience.

I just drove Lippincott Road less than one week ago (connects Racetrack to Saline Valley). It is in excellent condition at the moment, but things can change quickly. I would not attempt it without sufficient off-road experience and a 4WD (and possible even a second vehicle as support).

Days are still somewhat short in Feb, and the drive from Furnace Ck to Racetrack is 2+ hours at a minimum (4WD with aired-down tires) and as much as 4+ hours one way in an lesser vehicle with fully inflated tires. Do you really want to drive at least 4+ hours RT and have only a short stay at The Racetrack? I recommend camping there, south of the playa.

I know lots of folks are averse to camping, but one MUST camp in DVNP to experience it properly and to be where you want to be in the best light. Stovepipe and Furnace Creek are park central, but SO FAR from everything outside Death Valley proper.

Good luck, Richard.

I agree with what others have said with respect to camping near the racetrack.

Last year I found a secluded camp side about 700feet above the RT Playa and had the place to myself.

Getting the RT Playa from Saline Valley road requires a 4WD for sure. If coming from within the park (furnace creek etc) you just have to endure a rough road that will shake and rattle all sort of things loose in a car :-)

Here are some pics from my "private" campsite above the RT Playa.

Cheers,
    Leon

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Michael Gordon is correct on all counts. I, too, go there all the time, and have driven nearly all the off road routes. Sure you CAN go from Stovepipe or Furnace creek to the racetrack and back in a day, but why would you? You'll have no time to enjoy the place! Keep in mind that the best time (typically) to shoot the racetrack is the late afternoon just before the shadow overtakes the playa. Then it gets cold fast. Camping there is fabulously remote and the night hiking in the area is a lot of fun.