Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 3880: USB vs. Ethernet Connection

Epson 3880: USB vs. Ethernet Connection

It appears from my reading of the specs for the Epson 3880 that it has two interfaces: You can connect by the usual USB cable or you connect via Cat 5 ethernet.

I know just enough about this stuff to make me a bit dangerous, but for a variety of reasons, I'm interested in the ethernet angle. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I need any special hardware (apart from my normal network router) in order to connect via ethernet?

Or is this just a dumb idea?

Re: Epson 3880: USB vs. Ethernet Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pollock View Post
    It appears from my reading of the specs for the Epson 3880 that it has two interfaces: You can connect by the usual USB cable or you connect via Cat 5 ethernet.

I know just enough about this stuff to make me a bit dangerous, but for a variety of reasons, I'm interested in the ethernet angle. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I need any special hardware (apart from my normal network router) in order to connect via ethernet?

Or is this just a dumb idea?
    You just need to connect using the proper cable. The only other steps are those necessary to add the printer to your network. That will differ depending on what platform (MAC or Windows) and what operating system you are using.

Good luck,
    Ben

Thanks - so when you say "connect using the proper cable" you mean just run the Cat 5 connection between the router and the printer?

Bob

I don't know if my experience is the norm or not when using the ethernet cable to connect the 3880. I routinely have problems with the computer and printer maintaining the correct network address after I turn the printer off. I then have to go in and set a new port with the correct address, which often requires running a network status sheet to get the correct address. Not a huge pain, but I have been thinking about getting a long enough USB cable to get around it.

Yeah - that would be a pain. My reason for exploring this option in the first place is that the 3880 is going to have to sit across the room from my computer and I'm not sure if I can get a long enough USB cable.

Do they make 15' printer cables?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pollock View Post
    Yeah - that would be a pain. My reason for exploring this option in the first place is that the 3880 is going to have to sit across the room from my computer and I'm not sure if I can get a long enough USB cable.

Do they make 15' printer cables?
    Yes, there are 15' USB cables. As to the ethernet connection, yes, just get the correct Cat5 cable. My 4880, which I assume has a similar ethernet connection as the 3880, is on a MacPro and works flawlessly. I also went the Ethernet rout because of the distance my printer is from the computer it is connected to.

Ben

Thanks, everyone - I'll give it a go and see what happens.

There are 15 foot USB cables and my experience is that 15 feet is a maximum USB length and the full length should be done in one cable... don't connect multiple USB cables to get the maximum length.

You can get a Belkin USB cable with a signal booster at one end. The one I use is about 15 feet. Together with the standard 10 ft cable I can reach about 25 feet. I use three successfully with my Nikon and Epson scanners and with my 3880 printer all which are remote from my computer. No glitches yet.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Bruce,
    The biggest advantage of the ethernet port is that you can share with other units.
    If you decide to use a direct cable between computer and printer look for a "crossover" cable, but that would be my last option. I can help you with that. Send me a PM.
    Armando