Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Grease' on lens elements

Re: 'Grease' on lens elements

For the record, this is an early Symmar from around 1960, and I do have a Grimes wrench. It came apart simply and re-assembled simply. I wouldn't even dream about dismantling a modern lens.

Common sense tells me that to use acetone on the rear element in its metal housing would invite trouble from dissolved paint getting onto the glass, making the problem worse than the original, so that's not an option in this case.

I have made an improvement by using Formula MC from The Filter Connection, and was thinking I'd leave it at that, however Mark's recommendation of Panchro cleaning fluid is worth trying. Next problem: where to buy it in Oz.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Baz.

Barry: The newer ones disassemble just like the 1960's versions. But if you aren't comfortable with it, don't try it. For whatever reason I seem to get the fog more often on G Clarons than anything else, including relatively newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I find the tone of your reply offensive. If you can't reply with more civility, don't bother.

Barry.
    Since when are others under your orders? If you don't like my posts don't read it.

For the record, this is an early Symmar from around 1960, and I do have a Grimes wrench. It came apart simply and re-assembled simply. I wouldn't even dream about dismantling a modern lens.
    Baz.
    The fact that one can disassemble and reassemble a lens into the the individual lens cells easily is in no way any indication that it is a clever way to clean lenses.
    Wouldn't even dream about dismantling a modern lens? Why not - if you can do so "easily"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    My opinions are no more valid than yours except maybe when I've actually tried and had success something you say can't be done.

You have an example where "I said something cannot be done" or is in your wild imagination only?

My interest in this thread goes only so far but since responding is so easy...

1. Acetone is as terrible way to clean a lens that has stubborn grease on it, this won't work. The phrase you used repeatedly in this very thread was "impossible," which I think equates with your present question's "cannot be done." This opinion, so strongly expressed. despite the fact that Mr. Grimes and, for crying out loud, Summers Optical, recommend using Acetone for the final cleaning to make absolutely sure glass is clean and ready for cementing. You discouraged lens disassembly by the amateur. It does not appear that you have actually personally disassembled a lens and used acetone to clean it. It works very well. Grimes was right and so was Summers. And for once, so was I. The best response for the grease situation may be the Hollywood lens cleaner somebody recommended and I look forward to trying it out.

Your opinion did no harm here, but not so on the following from our earlier debate (a year ago? Something like that...) which was the last time everything I said was wrong and I wouldn't admit it you might be....

2. An amateur can't successfully separate and recement lenses at home. A number of us have climbed the learning curve and are doing this. It was clear to me that you have not personally, successfully, separated and recemented a vintage lens. You were just telling people it couldn't be done based on "wild imagination," perhaps, or some need to express an opinion on the topic. Or maybe you tried it (which I doubt from your comments) and gave up after leaving cemented fingerprints everywhere. The fact is, it can be done. Several people asked me how to do this after our last debate and I gave them detailed instructions. I don't know if they tried it and pulled it off, but the number of specific follow up questions suggests they did in some cases. I recemented a lens as a favor for one fellow who seemed like a nice guy, and he was pleased with how it worked when he got it back. It can be done. And for that reason I don't understand why a person who didn't personally have experience with the process would discourage people from trying it.

Here I think your uninformed opinion could do some harm. With the passing of Mr. Grimes, I don't know of a pro (Lens-4-Shutter, Balham, Focal Point) that can recement the 6 cemented surfaces of a separated double protar for anything near what the lens is worth. I am not accusing those pros of being unfair in their pricing -- if you try this some day you will appreciate how much work is involved. They do incredible work -- from personal experience with Focal Point and Balham. So if money is an object, you either do it yourself or the lens is a junker.

It seems to me that the original poster with the greased lens element has that problem licked. And I learned about some new lens cleaners. Maybe the thread is long enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    My interest in this thread goes only so far but since responding is so easy...

1. Acetone is as terrible way to clean a lens that has stubborn grease on it, this won't work. The phrase you used repeatedly in this very thread was "impossible," which I think equates with your present question's "cannot be done." ...

Your opinion did no harm here, but not so on the following from our earlier debate (a year ago? Something like that...) which was the last time everything I said was wrong and I wouldn't admit it you might be....

2. An amateur can't successfully separate and recement lenses at home. ...
    The "quotes" you have fabricated are nowhere in my posts. If you disagree, show them...
    You invent "quotes" and then fight that what has never been said as you "quote" it? Kevin, have you got tumour on your brain?

Common sense tells me that to use acetone on the rear element in its metal housing would invite trouble from dissolved paint getting onto the glass, making the problem worse than the original, so that's not an option in this case.

I have made an improvement by using Formula MC from The Filter Connection, and was thinking I'd leave it at that, however Mark's recommendation of Panchro cleaning fluid is worth trying. Next problem: where to buy it in Oz.

Baz.
    For what it's worth, I de-hazed the very same lans, same vintage, with isopropyl alcohol,lab grade. Haze between the elements, use a very slightly damp tissue - you do Not want iso getting where it doesn't belong.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Baz.
    That's correct in my opinion too. At least on something we agree.

GPS

Thank you for your concern about my having a brain tumor. I don't believe that is the case. I do have a close friend in a losing battle with a brain tumor, but as far as I know, the irresistible urge to deflate self-righteous, uninformed know-it-alls is not one of his symptoms. He mostly sleeps a lot now and tires easily. Part of this, I am sure, is the pain medication.

The portions of my last post in [B]bold[B] were simple statements, paraphrasing the two discussions on which you have an apparent failure of recollection. By paraphrasing instead of going back and retrieving multiple quotes, some more than a year old, I was merely teeing up the subject in a concise way, in response to your invitation. It is easy to tell when I am quoting since -- and this may just be a quirk of mine -- I put little marks like this around the words that are verbatim: " ".

On reflection, I think both paraphrases were fair summaries of your prior positions.

On the subject of acetone I did quote your prior posts in which you said that what I suggested was impossible; the equivalent in my book of something 'that can't be done,' which is how I accurately paraphrased you earlier.

You did, of course, previously declare DIY lens repair as something that could not be successfully accomplished. You can go back and find that prior discussion if you wish. As I said, my interest in this goes only so far.

What is particularly interesting is that you have not claimed, even when repeatedly baited, any experience whatsoever in cleaning glass with acetone and/or lens separation and recementing, the two topics on which you provided your opinions about what would or would not work. My point wasn't so much that you and I disagreed, which was fine with me, it was that vociferous opinions were being presented (vociferous as in you offended someone else in this very thread) without having any personal knowledge or experience behind them.

And now maybe it is my undiagnosed brain tumor talking but you know, I am so, so, so sorry I questioned your views. You must have been entirely right, at all times, in every way, in the manner only a gifted, "theoretical" problem spotter and solver can be. I am sorry I questioned you and I may not do it again. And with that profuse and heartfelt apology I am going to leave this thread behind.
    Last edited by Kevin Crisp; 20-Dec-2010 at 13:03.

I didn't ask you to paraphrase but to quote. If you cannot quote I'm not interested in discussions where you invent someone's quotes and then you argue with them.