Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blurb Photos Books

Re: Blurb Photos Books

I wonder if a blurb book could serve as a prototype for a book which might then be picked up by a publishing house? Or - conversely if a book has been produced and circulated as a blurb book would it diminish the possibility of publication?

I'm currently working withwww.boltonprinting.com on a 120 page, hardback, with a jacket. The price will be about $20. per book for 1000. They will do runs of 500 too. Joanne is great to work with, she sent me examples of black and white and color books she has had printed. She has experience working with some very good photographers.

If your interested in knowing when my book comes out e-mail me at thadgerheim@yahoo.com

http://thadgerheim.com

The Blurb sizes aren't the same as most commercial book sizes but they certainly can be useful to show as mock-ups to get the sequencing down.

In general you try to make the most efficient use of the largest sheet of paper a press can handle. So if you can print a 32x40 sheet, allowing for grippers, you get a certain sized page once it is folded into a signature.... These digital books are just glued and the sheet size is smaller.

I just did a book with blurb as a way to organize my thinking about an on-going project I am working on, and to show to other people for feedback. I am not interested in selling them, but did it for my own uses. I found the process invaluable. I treated it as a finished book—I wrote essays, and worked hard on sequencing the images. I ended up with a much greater understanding of the project, and have a way to present it that is coherent and certainly easy to transport. The printing wasn't bad, I think blurb has improved in the last couple years.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/