Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves for winter shooting?

Gloves for winter shooting?

I've been shooting outdoors at night a lot recently, and frozen fingers are just no fun.
    Can anyone recommend a pair of gloves that are warm (and preferably windproof), but still offer sufficient dexterity to manipulate the controls on a shutter?

I know I might be looking for a magic bullet here, thin and well-insulated, but I figured if it existed, LF landscape photogs would know.

Re: Gloves for winter shooting?

Okto,

I got a pair of thin liner gloves that have little hand warmer pockets in them and over these I wear a wool mitten glove where the "finger part" folds back when you need to use your fingers for photography. Worked well in Fairbanks in February!
    Got it at REI.

Peter

Try a Google search for Windtex gloves.
    I bought a pair 10 years ago to ride my bike in Alaska. I had rain and snow conditions and my fingers were cold... but not frozen. Great wind protection, good water resistance, light, flexible, and breathable.

Peter

Gloves can be problematic because they restrict blood flow and prevent fingers from warming one another, and once your fingers get cold in gloves it's difficult to bring them back without going inside or resorting to some trick that isn't compatible with attentive photography.

Many companies make a combo mitten/fingerless mitt. I've never used these because I haven't found them in my size, but folks on this site have recommended them. If you have average-sized hands a pair of these will probably do the trick, provided the outer fabric or knit repels wind.

I use fingerless mitts (Patagonia), boiled wool mitts (handmade but Dachstein makes a decent pair), and chemical hand warmers (Grabber). Chemical hand warmers are a bit of an environmental insult but you can carry a pair and use them as a last resort.

I use Mountain Hardwear "Butter glove liners". When it is really cold, I wear mittens over the liners and pull off the mittens as needed. I find I can do everything needed with the liners on and they are warmer than you would expect.

I got these last year at REI, pretty much what Eric described in his 2nd paragraph:
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...mitts_mil.html

In Colorado, I use Xcross country ski gloves when I need a gloved hand--Xcross country ski gloves, like Swix, a Norwegian ski company---it's also leathered in the finger tips & palm (for gripping ski poles) and these gloves could be inserted into a larger pair of gloves when dexterity is not needed.

Swix, Toko, others---all the major xcross country ski companies will have glove accessorties

Edwards, in the Vail Valley, Colo
    Raymond

I use the mitten-type, with fold-back flaps which allow you to get your fingers outside to make adjustments, set up, etc. Thin liners inside the mittens help. I got mine at a flyfishing store- they are used by steelhead fishermen in cold weather. REI or similar should also be a good source. Those disposable chemical handwarmers also work well in this setup. Mittens are better than gloves for circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    I use Mountain Hardwear "Butter glove liners". When it is really cold, I wear mittens over the liners and pull off the mittens as needed. I find I can do everything needed with the liners on and they are warmer than you would expect.
    I do the same. I have a very heavy pair of mittens with thin gloves inside.

In the USA I use Polartec Wind Pro Gloves gloves from Eastern Mountain Sports. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3651714
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.