Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MFAs?

MFAs?

Every once in awhile we get students asking people here about MFA programs and I am curious how many people here actually have MFAs in photography or other related arts?

I got mine in '83 from the University of Calgary in Alberta, one of the truly great experiences of my life. While an MFA is largely unnecessary for what I do, it was an intensely creative period for my work (and how I thought about my work in the context of the history of photography etc.) and it definitely has opened a few doors over the years.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 7-Dec-2010 at 21:52.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: MFAs?

MFA in Fine Arts, 1988

I seriously considered it in the mid-late 1980s but then (thank God, no offense to others who did) I didn't.

--Darin

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Seriously considered it in the 90s and didn't. I'd echo Darin's Thank God ... and that's my inclination ... but I honestly can't know if it's good that I skipped it or not.

Based on friends' experiences, I'm aware of the ways it could have been a disaster, but also the ways it could have been a great benefit. And of course there are many possibilities I can't know.

For sure I'm glad to be without the debt.

UK equivalent - MA in Photography in 2003 after about 15 years from first deciding to do one I went back to University to study Industrial Archaeology first in the late 1990's.

Ian

multiplex

always wished i did the 5 year program ( mfa/ma ) through tufts and the museum school ( smfa ) in boston.
    but i double major/minored in architectural studies and photography,
    then a ma in something like industrial /commercial archaeology/preservation planning in the early 90s ..

As a local school board member, I'm routinely CALLED an "MFA," but I don't have a degree labeled such.

I would love to get one, just to go back to college and pretend that I can be as irresponsible as I was the first time around!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Apples and Oranges Bruce! All school board members are honorary MFA's. I should know, because I have an MSeD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    As a local school board member, I'm routinely CALLED an "MFA," but I don't have a degree labeled such.

I would love to get one, just to go back to college and pretend that I can be as irresponsible as I was the first time around!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Finishing up my MFA from Art Academy University in SF. It's an online program. Was it worth it financially? I doubt it, but it has improved my photography. I will have the option of teaching, and already have some interest at a local college when the prof goes on sebatical. MFA's in photography are really not as available as you might think. Certainly not as plentifull as MBA's, and I know some of those who are unemployed.

All I know for sure is that I have a BS in Speech. Comes in handy teaching workshops.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com