Page 93 of 406 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

Gandolfi,

For what it's worth, I enjoy your work very much, as well as the work of most others on this forum. Each image brings something new to the table, and can be learned from, in one way or another - whether it be artistic vision, style, or craft.

I don't agree that one's images should need to be defended in depth, because of one or two habitual posters, and don't believe anyone can 'please all the people, all the time'...

Thanks for sharing your images...

Cheers,
    Dan

Smile Re: Nude - Awesome and appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I can't stress it enough: I am not trying to make something unique.
    But maybe you are, Gandolfi! That could be an essential part of what we do as we amuse ourselves with photography, make the matter unique.

I am not an artist.
    Well, you're not a self-proclaimed "master", full of yourself. Your work speaks for you. So, yes, you're an artist.

Don't compare me to dead masters. Please. It is getting tirering.
    I think that happens because your work is well conceived, crafted and has some magic. There's a kind of group pride in your work here; also perhaps some jealousy that you would "abuse" something that others can't create.

With all this reaction, be assured, your work is appreciated!

Everything good is a pretty kind of ruin!

Asher

Emil, I am a big admirer of your work, and appreciate that you take risks and the ultimate goal is to create an image, and you do that well.

What others fail to (apparently) acknowledge is that all images are manipulated, either in Photoshop for those inkjet printers, or in the darkroom.

I enjoy the "painterly" aspects your images evoke, and as a college Fine Arts Major, do think your work is far more artistic than the majority of work I see.

Many comments I've read here are quite narrow minded in my opinion...taking an image "beyond" being a straight photograph as you do I find refreshing and bold...
    For some to say "you don't care about the image" is utter bullshit...or that the image "won't stand up on it's own" is even more so...

That you do not call yourself an artist is exactly why I believe you are...and the camera et al is simply a tool, as it should be...a starting point.

I realize it is "hit or miss" sometimes with distressing the negative, but the great thing is you let "chance" happen...a good thing.

To each their own and I hope you "ruin" many more negatives.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    Emil, I am a big admirer of your work, and appreciate that you take risks and the ultimate goal is to create an image, and you do that well.
    +1

And I must say.....don't let the ofhanded comments of an idiot bother you.

Gandolphi - I always take the time to look at your images - for me they can be thought-provoking and inspiring. Do I like them all? No. But some of your images rate as my all-time favorites. Am I injspired to take sandpaper to my negatives? No.
    Frank's images, on the other hand, I skip past quickly. He certainly knows what he's doing technically, and I know he has fans. But he strikes me as mysogynistic in the extreme.

I suppose one could ask the question, "Is it more creative to put one's own marks on one's image, or to photograph the marks others have put on one's models?"

But it is a silly question and one that needs not to be answered. So why did I ask it? Brain farts, I suppose.

The big "G" is an artist to me.

I am often amused when people who claim one type of photography or another has been over-done and is trite (such as the rock & tree photos), yet they themselves make images of equally "over-done" subjects, such as portraits, nudes or still life. Creativity is not defined (by me, YMMD) as making something new and previously unseen, but instead as a process the artist undertakes to explore the world and one's place in it. Many new things are discovered (or re-discovered) in the process, and lord knows that the art market loves new things to sell.

Let those wash away who seek to damn the flow of artistic expression;-)

Gandolfi, just go about making your photographs and prints and forget about what anyone else says. Don't even justify or validate their ridiculousness with a comment.

No wonder some of the best photographer/printers have left this forum never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Frank,
    You're not alone, that cretin has hounded me on a UK forum as well (WTF he's doing on a UK forum is open to question).
    I bought Franks book last year and if Emil ever brings out a book I'll be in the queue. If Jay brings out a book we'll all be able to take the piss!!
    Pete.
    Pete,

I don't know who you are, and I don't remember ever posting to UK forums, let alone Hounding anyone. Care to post a link? And by the way, are UK forums closed to non-brits? As for Frank, anyone willing to waste the time can find his posts directed to me, right here on this site. My post was polite and genteel by comparison.

I'll let you into a secret Jay, Pete is from the extreme nationalist school of 'thinking'.

Pete...I would have thought that this place was way to multicultural and cosmopolitan for a man of your world view.