Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Warmtone Semi-Matte FB Dry Down Experiences

Ilford Warmtone Semi-Matte FB Dry Down Experiences

Hi all. I'm working with Ilford Warmtone Semi-Matte and Glossy FB and I've begun to fall in love with the semi-matte. It's getting me close to what I see in my mind. I have just a quick question. What are your experiences with dry down with this particular paper? I will of course be testing my personal dry down (in the middle of it now) but I am curious to know what others have found for curiosity sake. Dry down still seems so controversial and individual, with some saying that it is hugely noticeable all the time to others who completely deny it exists and everyone in between, that it genuinely peaks my interest. Thanks for your stats! And lets try to keep this on track and avoid a runaway thread. Simply, what is your dry down percentage/ compensation for Ilford Warmtone Semi-Matte Fiber Paper?

Re: Ilford Warmtone Semi-Matte FB Dry Down Experiences

I've been printing with this paper lately and am finding quite a bit of drydown with it. I would hazard a guess at >10%.

Even when I bleach a print and it looks like it's popping quite well, I seem to get a much darker, veiled final print when dry.

Drew Wiley

I don't bother with percentage. I take the test strip and dry it briefly in a little toaster
    oven to check the highlights. You could also use a hair dryer. The shadows will change more of course if you tone afterwards, but that is something easier to predict.
    And yes, the drydown of this paper is a significant, but no worse than most.

Big Negs Rock!

I find the dry down is huge. I struggle with this paper, although I do like it. The glossy paper I find very easy to work with. Drew, I really like the toaster!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I don't bother with percentage. I take the test strip and dry it briefly in a little toaster
    oven to check the highlights. You could also use a hair dryer. The shadows will change more of course if you tone afterwards, but that is something easier to predict.
    And yes, the drydown of this paper is a significant, but no worse than most.
    So Drew, does the toaster warm the warm-tone paper?

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

I've followed Ansel's recommendation and used a microwave to check for dry down, but never a toaster.

Here it's toaster and microwave in the kitchen, hair dryer in the darkroom. Not much hair left to dry, so I don't miss the dryer in its former location.

Just finished printing the prints for my dry down test and I'm just waiting for them to finish washing. After that I'll dry them using a hair dryer and compare for the results. Ideally, I'd like to let them dry naturally but a hair dryer shouldn't change the tonality or anything (as long as it isnt held too close). Microwaves actually change the tonality of the paper due to the heat. I don't have a microwave anyway so thats not an issue. Haha, I did a dry down test a little while back and realized in the middle of the test that there was no microwave in the new house so I put it in the oven...bad idea. I almost set the house on fire! Precisely why I dont cook! Anyway, because I know that this paper tends to have a significant dry down (by most accounts that I've heard around 10%) Im testing for 9%, 10%, 11% and 12% dry down. The prints should be done washing in a few min and I'll head back into the darkroom to finish the test. I'll post my results in a little bit.

Also, anyone out there have some actual numbers? I'd like to compare.

K, my dry down is turning out to be lower then I estimated it would be. I'm running another round of tests for 4%, 6%, 7%, and 8%. I'll update after I have results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Also, anyone out there have some actual numbers? I'd like to compare.
    I don't think a standard percentage adjustment works well. Different pictures want different adjustments.

As far as my actual work processes in the darkroom are concerned, I don't even think of it in terms of an adjustment to the exposure/contrast that looks best for wet prints. For each picture I just look at the dry test prints and decide how to proceed based on that.

I don't think a standard percentage adjustment works well. Different pictures want different adjustments.
    I've experienced quite the opposite. I guess thats why I'm so obsessive about thesting everything. I've found that paper and a specific climate, developer, enlarger, light, filters, other chemistry, and personal workflow, when consistent will yield very consistent results each and every time. My workflow is pretty much robotic in my darkroom and I always use the same materials and chemistry which I've tested (and re-tested) thoroughly. Consequently, my results are repeatable to a high level of consistency and accuracy which is what I look for. As to paper, I've found that testing the paper every year or so will yield solidly repeatable results (as long as the rest of the workflow is equally consistent).

Now back to the darkroom to finish round 2 of the paper test.