Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Technikardan

Re: Alternative to Technikardan

Great suggestions all - many thanks.

Just a small comment on how the resulting image will look with a side shift - it will be the same like you would take the shot with a wider lens and than would crop a bit form either left or right away. In other words - if you need a lot of shift you will end up with stronger distortions in one side of the image as in the other.
    Matus

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_lipkin View Post
    As some of you may have guessed, I've been evaluating and testing equipment over the past few months in anticipation of a project.

I'm currently shooting with a Toyo 45, which I love. But, I think I might find myself in situations where I would need to shift the front element from side to side. I have been thinking about shooting crowds watching events, and would like to position myself off to the side so as not to block people's view. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that front element shift would enable me to shoot from the side and have the image appear to have been shot as though I were in front of the crowd, depending of course on the coverage of the lens.

From my brief search, the only camera I can find is the Technikardan. Is this the best solution. It needs to be portable, so I can't bring a studio camera with me, although I suppose if I were to bring an assistant I could manage.

EDIT: Just found the wista45vx, which looks pretty good, and this one on ebay, though not sure it's a vx.

just so you know it's a 45n not 45vx.. the vx has a tab on the side that allows for swing... this one does not... if in doubt ask the seller for the serial number.. the 45N serials end in "N"