Thread: Pacemaker Speed Graphic + Modern Studio Lightning

Pacemaker Speed Graphic + Modern Studio Lightning

Is it possible to get my Pacemaker Speed Graphic to sync with modern studio equiment like the Visico Exel 300? Or what kind of flash-light is it possible to use?

I'm using my Speed with the Aero Ektar 178/2.5 and I'm only using the focal plane shutter. There is some kind of flash-sync-connection right next to the releasebutton, is it possible to get a hold of some kind of adaptor to make it possible to use it with my Visico equip?

/David

Re: Pacemaker Speed Graphic + Modern Studio Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Is it possible to get my Pacemaker Speed Graphic to sync with modern studio equiment like the Visico Exel 300? Or what kind of flash-light is it possible to use?

I'm using my Speed with the Aero Ektar 178/2.5 and I'm only using the focal plane shutter. There is some kind of flash-sync-connection right next to the releasebutton, is it possible to get a hold of some kind of adaptor to make it possible to use it with my Visico equip?

/David
    You can only use the focal-plane shutter with focal-plane bulbs. The opening in the shutter curtain does not cover the whole image frame, so you need a bulb with a long enough burn time to cover the entire shutter transit period.

If you must use that shutter, investigate hot lights instead of studio flash.

Rick "who would use the front shutter and a lens that provides that option" Denney

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

FlashBulbs.com has flash bulbs. I'm sure that they can assist you for hooking up a flash setup. However, those flash bulbs are very expensive, and would quickly outstrip the cost of an electronic system.

The only way that you can sync with an electronic flash is to use an iris shutter. Is your Aero Ektar a barrel lens, or does it have a shutter? If it does have a sync, look for a setting marked 'X', which indicates electronic sync. Something can be probably made up to connect it to a modern flash.

The only way you can use the focal plane shutter with electronic flash is to use the old open flash method, which would require that you shoot in the dark. I wouldn't be too confident that the flash sync on the back shutter even works. They are pretty touchy and usually worn out. If you want to try to find focal plane bulbs, the only bulbs that will cover 4X5 are the number 2 and 22. Number 6 focal plane bulbs will not cover 4X5. There are variations on these numbers depending on who made them, Wabash, GE, etc. Hard to come by, these bulbs.

How about covering the lens, pull your slide, uncover the lens and pop your lights then recover lens. If you keep the ambient low, might not affect the exposure significantly.