Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35mm SLR as an exposure meter

35mm SLR as an exposure meter

for the past year I've used my Nikon FM2 to meter my exposures for my 4x5 camera. i never had a problem with it, although i'd often have to do a bit of math to match my settings on my 4x5. recently i purchased a sekonic l-408. to my surprise, my nikon had a few advantages over the sekonic. my nikon works much better in low light situations - my sekonic simply gives up. i'm still going to move over to using light meters (after I get a gossen luna pro) but a 35 mm camera is a perfectly good meter.

35mm SLR as an exposure meter

I often use my Nikon F5 as a meter, especially if I'm shooting velvia. The matrix metering system is quick and accurate if you want to meter the whole scene quickly, or there is the choice of spot or centre weighted average. Usually the algorithm that drives the matrix metering is very good. If you're happy with the exposures you get by using the Canon's meter in 'average' mode, you may want to follow the guidance that it offers, rather than in 'spot' mode.

One drawback that no one has mentioned is the limited apperture range on a 35mm slr, usually no more than f22. I have confused myself in the past with the (very simple) calculation required in the heat of the moment - doh!