Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Combiplan option

Combiplan option

I don't use a Combiplan but I know a number of people use it for 4x5 sheet film processing. I came across this item. Does anyone us it? If so, how is it? I noticed it because the bottles look like Jobo bottles but I can't be sure.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...Processor.html

Octogenarian

Re: Combiplan option

The tank and the film rack are made by HP Combi-Plan.

The temperature control unit is made by Nova.

Nova and Jobo are/were owned by the same company in the UK.

So, those probably are Jobo bottles.

Too bad about the one litre bottles. I maybe wrong, but doesn't the combi-plan call for 1250 cc?

the combiplan uses 1L. I develop B&W at 70f, so I dont' need the temp regulation. If you were doing color, it would be a handy option.

My Combiplan tank calls for 1050ml - one litre is just a little too low and leaves the top edge of the negs improperly developed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    My Combiplan tank calls for 1050ml - one litre is just a little too low and leaves the top edge of the negs improperly developed.
    Exactly, and 1050ml just covers it. I like to use mine with rapidly oxidizing staining developers like PMK which is why I go for the close-to-all-the-way filled 1250ml of solution. This Nova thing looks like another nifty but expensive darkroom toy that would definitely get shelved after realizing it's limitations. Besides, why should a holding bath cost half a grand? I'd take a tuperware container and my thermostatic mixing valve over this gewgaw any day of the week.

Our HP Combi-Plan T system is an inversion style processing tank that was designed so the chemistry can flow when the tank is inverted. To make sure that the proper amount of chemistry is used so an empty space is left in a properly filled Combi-Plan to ensure that the chemistry can flow the required amount of chemistry is listed for both inch and cm sizes on the inside bottom of the lid. This amount is enough so the film is fully immersed and still leaves room for the chemistry to flow when the tank is inverted.

For those of you doing 4x5" in oz the Combi-Plan calls for 36oz. For those of you working in cm it calls for 1250ccm. 9x12cm, 8.5x10cm require 1000 ccm, 6.5x9cm calls for 800ccm. In OZ 3.5 x 4.75" and 3.25 x 4.25 use 35 Oz and 2.5 x 3.25 uses 28oz.

Thanks Bob,
    When I read your answer I understand you never never use a combiplan to develop sheet film. Too bad isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by philbed View Post
    Thanks Bob,
    When I read your answer I understand you never never use a combiplan to develop sheet film. Too bad isn't it ?
    Have used one since the early 60s to develop sheet film. Of course then it was still the Krause tank. It then became the Gepe tank and in the late 70s we bought it and began manufacturing it and it became the HP Combi System. Tools and specs have never changed in all that time. The only thing that did change was that we discontinued the lab lid and the floating lid for the L version and stayed with the more popular T version. That happened in 83 or 84 when we also discontinued the 57 T and L system and the compact and standard 35mm and roll film processing tanks. Have used them all and then other systems as well. Including Versamats from Kodak and Morse as well as deep tank nitrongen burst.

Bob 1, Phil 0
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.