Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanity check - filtering for reddish rocks?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Sanity check - filtering for reddish rocks?

My assumption has been that a green or light-green filter would help to emphasize the texture and color variations of the sandstone layers in Zion NP (blue might be better, but perhaps too extreme). Comments? Am I completely wrong on this? Better to know before I travel....

And yes, I'll be using black-and-white film - my wife will be wielding the DSLR.

Thanks.

Re: Sanity check - filtering for reddish rocks?

I started using one after I read that Brett Weston used the same filter for red rocks. It does help.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Do or do not. There is no try.

Thanks Kirk. I hadn't read that about Brett Weston. The green filters are packed!

Have a great trip. I love that place. When I used to do workshops at Chaco Canyon which has yellow/red rocks, I did a demo with Polaroids and various filters, yellows, greens, reds, blues etc. Most people picked the green filtered examples as giving the most pleasing tones in the rocks (and some darkening of blue skies).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Ron Miller

I used a yellow/green #11 (I believe) with great success last year with windgate sandstone.

Also I think you will find the initial effect looks a little flat on the negative. You could bump the development about 10% to correct this (I used to when I was super anal about such things), but found, for simplicities sake, that simply adjusting the print contrast worked as well.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Drew Wiley

In the canyon country I always carry a dk green filter for darkening the red rocks with
    panchromatic film. Lt yellow-green still lets too much of the red through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Have a great trip. I love that place. When I used to do workshops at Chaco Canyon which has yellow/red rocks, I did a demo with Polaroids and various filters, yellows, greens, reds, blues etc. Most people picked the green filtered examples as giving the most pleasing tones in the rocks (and some darkening of blue skies).
    Kirk, there are several posts of yours around here where you comment on this subject. I'm curious which "green" filter you use. I've been considering the B+W 060 and Hoya XO. Yesterday, in this post

Steve Goldstein wrote:

"I also looked at the curves of the B+W 060 and Hoya X0 filters, both of which are yellow-green. They're quite similar at shorter wavelengths, but the X0 has notably less transmission in the orange-red part of the spectrum."

Those curves do indeed show that the 060 transmits 95% at 550nm and only 15% less, i.e. 80%, at 650nm

while the XO transmits 85% at 550nm and a much larger 25% less, i.e. 60%, at 650nm

It seems that these differences could have significant impacts on images of red rock scenes. Thanks in advance for sharing the specific filter(s) you use.

Drew Wiley

... Sorry to interject, Sal... but a lot depends on the specific film. ... and I make it a habit to generally carry both an XO and deep green Hoya, but not a hard tricolor like a 58. With something like ACROS you're already at first base, but ordinary pan film might require a bit of a boost. And there's a distinction between just bringing out texture and significantly darkening areas of brick red Navajo sandstone, which is a task be done by deep green, esp if you're working with a TMax film which can render this rather pastey otherwise. Zion Can per se has quite a range of geologic colors to deal with, depending on where you are, plus atmospheric considerations
    with cloud renderings. Helps to have a versatile tool kit.

Not Kirk, but I think his simple illustration says volumes about filtration (Chaco being more yellow than many Southwest reds, as he has stated). If you try to get all technical on it, and attempt to compare long lost Wratten numbers on other than Kodak filters, you're likely to drive yourself crazy. Without spectrometers on site to match filtration to your film and paper (), it seems better to come up with common sense filters that will give you the greatest bang for your buck. Considering that filters used in panchromatic photography lighten their own colors and darken complementary colors, they can be an important asset for naturally corrective affect, or aesthetic heigtening. I use a B&W 061 (green) for all conditions where "reds", need darkening and/or greens need lightening (also helpful in darkening skies a bit as well). It renders Southwest red sandstones well enough for me to get the look I want through standard darkroom printing technique. If I were to add one filter to my standard carry, it would likely be a yellow-green, but that would typically be more for enhancing new spring time growth, in consideration of a general composition. Here are a few non-LF, 120 examples (e.g., proofs I hope to be able to justify making fine art prints of someday) of a variety of representative SW rock, all using a single 061 (the same filter I use with my LF lenses):

White Rim and Candlestick Tower

Thunderstorm, Henry Mountains

Reflections, Silver Fork Escalante