Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEST TECHNIQUE/WORKFLOW in scanning a BW negative with SILVERFAST & EPSON v700?

Re: BEST TECHNIQUE/WORKFLOW in scanning a BW negative with SILVERFAST & EPSON v700?

Can I continue this thread a little and ask for the people working in Photoshop, do you make any use of the adobe image management products like Bridge or Lightroom?

I should probably post this question in another forum, but I just purchased a Epson 4990 and it should arrive in a few days. I have a lot of family 35mm slides and then a lot of art-type scans of materials to do for fun.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: BEST TECHNIQUE/WORKFLOW in scanning a BW negative with SILVERFAST & EPSON v700?

Oh yes, forgot, if anyone could point out how best to "clean" slides I'd be grateful.
    Do you just blow them off with compressed air? I assume it's probably not wise to physically clean them with any kind of solution or anything...

Thanks again,
    Dan

I use a zone VI electrostatic brush to get rid of dust. These brushes can be kind of hard to find. You could also use a DSLR sensor cleaning brush.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Preston Birdwell

Oh yes, forgot, if anyone could point out how best to "clean" slides I'd be grateful.
    Do you just blow them off with compressed air? I assume it's probably not wise to physically clean them with any kind of solution or anything...
    I use a Staticwisk brush from Kinotronics and canned compressed air to blow them off. If the film is very dirty, I use PEC-12 fluid and PEC pads to gently clean the film. I use it rarely, and very sparingly, but it does work, and I've not noticed any damage to the film. The stuff has a strong odor, however, so use it in a well ventilated area.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Scott Smith View Post
    Can I continue this thread a little and ask for the people working in Photoshop, do you make any use of the adobe image management products like Bridge or Lightroom?

I should probably post this question in another forum, but I just purchased a Epson 4990 and it should arrive in a few days. I have a lot of family 35mm slides and then a lot of art-type scans of materials to do for fun.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan,

I use Bridge as it runs through and makes previews of a directory once. Lightroom drives me nuts with large scans as it does this "loading..." crap forever when all you want is to look at something a little bit bigger before opening in Photoshop.

IMO Lightroom is for DSLR/Digital/Raw files (even a little annoying with the Canon 5D's 12mp raw files on a mac pro with 12GB of RAM) while the bigger scans need something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Scott Smith View Post

Thanks,
    Dan
    Bridge isn't an image management software product but rather an image browser and file manager.

Don Bryant

I use Lightroom for managing digital capture files (largely commercial work) and Bridge for scans (mostly very large .5-2GB b&w many layered scans.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"