Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Epson 3880 Printer: Tips? Nozzle Check?

New Epson 3880 Printer: Tips? Nozzle Check?

I've just begun to use my new 3880 printer. I took advantage of the rebate that I think is good to the end of the month.

So I'm curious. I'd be interested in any TIPS that people have for using this printer?

I got the lower level model, because I can upgrade to a good ColorBurst RIP as soon as I dispose of my 4000. I'm running this printer on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.8 installed.

Also, I wanted to do a nozzle check, and I see that it's accompanied by an "automatic" head cleaning??? Does this mean I have to do a head cleaning just to check the nozzles? Is there some way to check the nozzles without the head cleaning?

Re: New Epson 3880 Printer: Tips? Nozzle Check?

On the 3800 you can do either an auto or manual nozzle check from the panel on the printer itself. Not sure if that's changed with the 3880. Menu> test print> nozzle check> then select auto or manual. Manual just prints a quick pattern; auto takes a while longer and prints a more thorough pattern.

But on the other hand I can only seem to do a 'power' nozzle clean from the printer panel; a 'regular' (uses much less ink) clean has to be done from the 'utility' tab from the driver during an actual print job... I can't find a way to do that from either the 'remote panel' software or the panel directly on the printer itself. This is the PC version of the drivers and LFP Remote Panel though.

I always thought the myriad interfaces were a little irritating, too much 'can't get there from here'.. I'm curious if they made any improvements to the menus on the 3880.

Ha ha!

Thanks. I just read the directions, always a last resort for me.

I see the power cleaning is an available button on the software window. So, it sounds like that's possible. I don't plan on using it, though!

TIPS?

On my 4800 I perform an auto Nozzle check before each print session. I do this through the LFP Remote Panel (Media Adjustment | Auto Adjustment). This prints large color blocks and analyzes them and then does a regular cleaning only if necessary. I have never had to do a power clean. I don;t think the manual nozzle check is thorough enough to trust.

I've been trying to a nozzle check, but I get a message that it can't do a nozzle check when the loading is set to the front loader. But checking through the manual and elsewhere, I can't find anything that tells how to make this setting different.

Yet when I print photos, the printer has no problem accepting paper from the auto-feeder in the back.

There's always a break in period for the operator as well as the equipment.

Thanks.

lazy retired bum

I've been using my Epson 3800 for almost three years and have had no clogs, no cleanings, and done no nozzle checks. I put 1-2 oz of water in the maintenance cartridge once a month (suggested by George at Pro Photo), and have had zero problems with this superb printer.

I bought my 3880 last August and installed the cartridges. The next day I suffered a severe head injury in a bicylcing accident, and so the printer was never used. Yesterday, feeling sufficiently recovered, i started to play with it. To my amazement, it worked fine. There were no problems with the nozzles, and I made a couple of test prints.

My problem now is that I have to learn how to use it under Windows and Photoshop CS2. I have been printing on an Epson 1280 under Fedora Core Linux using gimp, and I understand that pretty well. But I haven't done much with Photoshop, so I am basically starting as a beginner.
    Any references to a tutorial would be appreciated.

If anyone knows how to use this printer under Linux, I would appreciate learning about that.

Also. is it possible to print under Windows Vista without using Photoshop, and still specify paper type, etc. Ultimately I would want also to use color management, which I have been doing with the 1280.

Bob

When I got my 3880 I found Eric Chan's site very useful. Made very good color prints right away, still working on black and white to suit my tastes though that may be a mix of paper choice and my limited skill set.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html

For printing with 3800/3880 see Eric Chan's FAQ page
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html

Also recommend tutorials for photoshop/epson printing and color management, Ian Lyons site:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Hello! I want to buy Epson 7700...maybe you can advice to me any shops where I can buy this model? I found only one shop with it (designsupply.co.uk)...What can you say about the prices there? And compare this model with HP Designjet 111 a1 printer. Thanks a lot!!!