Thread: Best affordable option to brighten my Linhof's ground glass

Best affordable option to brighten my Linhof's ground glass

My Master Technika came with a fresnel that was so scuffed and scratched that is practically useless. I removed the fresnel, but my ground glass is now obviously darker. The fresnel also made focusing seem mushy, unlike the setup on the Chamonix which really somehow has some unbelievably bright and easy to focus on ground glass and fresnel combination. Without spending $200 on a replacement Linhof fresnel what might you guys recommend. It's not that $200 is totally out of the question, but not just for a simple fresnel lens. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jordan; 26-Nov-2010 at 20:05.

Re: Best affordable option to brighten my Linhof's ground glass

Jordan, you can use any fresnel lens with the same focal-length as your taking lens and the dimensions of the Ektalite lens used by Linhof also: approx. 5" focal-length, 4" x 5" x 0.1" and as many lines per inch, groove density, as possible.

The cheap magnifier foils aviable in department stores are too thin, have the wrong focal-lenght and are too coarse. But at e. g. Edmund Optics fresnel lenses are aviable but e. g. NT32-684 has nearly the focal-lenght needed but is a little bit too thin also. Also one has to cut it for the needed dimensions.

Have fun
    Peter

Thanks Peter. Should I consider the one from Edmunds Optics or look elsewhere? I really need one or another solution. Thanks.

I have a GG that I ground fine, myself, and treated with paste wax. Very nice and bright with a normal f/l lens, not exactly ideal for wide angles, but quite useable.

So still haven't quite found a replacement for Linhof's dim ground glass and fresnel. I find focusing with or without the fresnel to be difficult due to lack of contrast. Anymore suggestions?

You washed it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    So still haven't quite found a replacement for Linhof's dim ground glass and fresnel. I find focusing with or without the fresnel to be difficult due to lack of contrast. Anymore suggestions?
    I've used many of the screen brighteners out there including BosScreens, Maxwell screens, Beattie screens, and original equipment Fresnels on Ebony, Tachihara, Chamonix, and other cameras. IMHO this is a case where you get what you pay for. The Maxwell screen was the best of the bunch by a wide margin. It unfortunately was also the most expensive by a wide margin. But if I were buying again that's what I would get. The BosScreens weren't actually Fresnels as such but they were excellent. However it's my understanding that the company that sold them is no longer in business. The others were o.k. (actually the Ebonys weren't o.k. but that's another story) but had problems focusing or with wide angle lenses to varying degrees.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.