Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoflex Tent with 8x10

Photoflex Tent with 8x10

I was looking at the Photoflex Film Changing Room on B&H and noticed it says "You can even change 8 x 10" film." Has anyone here actually used this item to load 8x10? I'm currently using a 27x30 changing bag, and loading 8x10 holders in that is a complete pain. The Photo flex is listed as a smaller width & length (22x25) but has a 15inch height. Would the added ceiling space make things possible, or is the 8x10 statement one of those marketing slogans that included because someone once manged to wrestle a sheet from box to holder within fifteen minutes with only four scratches? The Harrison tents are a bit pricey for me at the moment, so I want to know if the Photo flex would be a pain or not?

New Orleans, LA

Re: Photoflex Tent with 8x10

Yes, I have. It's been awhile since I've done it but as best as I recall it's a little tight but with care can be done easily enough. I don't think I loaded more than 6 holders at a time, though.

I've had one and found it to be a pain even with 4x5 film, the bottom doesn't want to lie flat and everything slides into the middle. I wouldn't want to risk scratching the 8x10 film and wait and save up for the largest Harrison for 8x10.

A darkroom -- even a bathroom with towels at the door at night -- is better still.

For most of the changing tents 8X10 models can be used for 8X10 but are quite tight. Go 1 size larger to be able to use it comfortably.

New Orleans, LA

Frank, maybe you were using it upside down.

Hey if you can do it, you're way more adroit than me. Let's not play cards, it would be embarrassing.

I have a Fotoflex tent. dont know what size it is . . .pretty big though. Big enough to change 8x10 in. It really needs room on a table. I still put up with the old t-shirt sized changing bag when packing small or changing film in a car . . .I don't like it but it works.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Big enough.......yes. Viable and easy to work with.....absolutely not. As Frank says, it's a pain even with 4x5. 8x10 would be way beyond my patience. (Yes, I've owned one until I discovered the Harrison instead.)

I've got the mid sized Harrison and do 8x10 with it comfortably. The larger size would be even better.

Main thing is that the bad design of curved sides on the Changing Room are a huge pain (plus it's cramped and the sleeves are located in a very awkward place so they make you spread your arms to use), while the Harrison has a huge base and totally flat footprint with the sleeves in front which is way easier.

Like Frank says, save your bucks until you can afford something you will be totally happy with.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I have the current model, with the arms out to the side. I wouldn't use it to load a LOT of film holders at once, but two or three is not bad. The sides go up straight when it is open, and there is enough room when you keep the everything lengthwise.

Here's what works for me, but it requires touching the emulsion:
    1. Put in your film holders, and next your film box. Close it up.
    2. Open your film box and position the film bag in the box.
    3. Take one holder from the bottom, pull the dark slide back to expose the slots. Put the down on top of the film box, overlapping the box and towards you.
    4. Remove one sheet of film, and keep it in your right hand.
    5. Pick up the holder with your left hand, and get the light trap open.
    6. Slide in the film.
    7. Close the holder.

Would I rather have more space in the Changing Room to work? Of course. But its good enough for now.

I have the photoflex/calumet and the large/8x10 size Harrison which is much larger. The Photoflex is awful for 8x10. Maybe you could wrestle with a single holder in there, but certainly not 5. I hate it for 8x10 and that is why I bought the Harrison which is much better and worth the money. The harrison could be taller though. In any case, changing tents are no fun. A dark, interior hotel bathroom is a good alternative. The bathroom countertop usually is clean and relatively dust free.