Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robert White purchase question

Robert White purchase question

Both Toyo and Mamiya are imported into the USA by Mamiya America Corporation (MAC). This has been discussed "ad nauseam" in other threads (see the archives). B&H Photo gets their Toyo and Mamiya stock from MAC. Robert White gets their stock directly from Mamiya Japan and Toyo Japan respectively. I were buying Toyo or Mamiya, I would probably buy from Robert White, although I can understand why some professionals may put a high value on the warranty and repair services offered by MAC. But I think it is incorrect to say that B&H Photo charges list price or is somehow ripping off consumers.

RW, far from being the good guy that he is (I'm not saying that he is not a good guy), is merely the lucky beneficiary of questionable usurious pricing by Mamiya USA and HP Marketing. RW's prices on these products are no better than what can be found around the world or any other UK agent like Teamwork Photo, for example. With so much free press from this and other forums and being one of the first to capitalise on e-commerce, it pays RW to provide good service to his American custonmers.

Certainly, it has never occurred to the Americans to attempt to knock down his prices further; his prices look like a relative bargain compared to American domestic prices so it has never occurred to an American to bargain him down. Many are too happy to accept what RW offers.

It is amazing that Mamiya USA and HP Marketing have not responded to this in an appropriate fashion i.e. to make their prices fall in line with international pricing. Their recalcitrance has benefited RW the most and every day that they dawdle RW gains by not even trying.

Nobody said B&H is ripping off anybody, you're saying that. B&H is reputable, firstrate, and prompt, and they are simply trying to get as much money as they can for their product as businessmen. My remark was not a veiled implication towards anybody being a thief, it's to suggest that everybody can make money while give us a break, anything else is putting words in my mouth.

You're right about this issue having been done ad nauseum, the issue is very clear, there is choice now where there didn't used to be, we can pick and choose, which is one of the redeeming qualities of the internet.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Jonathan, my initial comments were directed at John Hennessy, who said "B&H is, near as I can tell, no longer a 'discount' source. Often B&H is at or very near full retail.?

Your subsequent comments may have been made based on your assumption that I was talking about you, but I am not sure why, because I specifically said "I found the remarks above about B&H (no longer a discount store) to be amusing." This obviously did not refer to anything you said.

Compare US and RW prices on Linhof have you?

" HP Marketing have not responded to this in an appropriate fashion"

I always use RW for all of the reasons already mentioned. What intrigues me however, is that RW is able to offer great deals on MOST of the stock he sells and still makes a profit! Something to be said about NOT being greedy! Whatever the "politics" behind manufacturer/dealer/grey market - the truth is that "greed" (not just profit) drives some to hold out for more bucks. RW seems to have solved the problem! As long as there is this level of "greed", the likes of RW will benefit and so will his customers!

Bob, all your statement proves is that there is a distributor in the UK (Linhof & Studio Ltd.) from whom RW much purchase their stock, and that they jack up the prices just as much as HP Marketing. In the case of Mamiya, Toyo, Schneider, and others, RW is the direct importer and purchases directly from the manufacturer.

What in the world are you talking about/

"all your statement proves is that there is a distributor in the UK "

have you compared current Technorama 617, TK 45 or Master Technika 45 or Technika 2000 prices in the U.S. from authorized dealers VS RW prices/

Not printed prices but the price they give you when you buy one?

>and a $15 "transaction fee" I think it was called to my credit card >company.

I'd look at changing my credit card company then!

Living in Canada where there is a dearth of LF camera stores (and I'm 1000 miles from the nearest city anyway...) I buy from the US and UK all the time. Using my Visa, the price is paid in pounds or $US and converted (obviously at a rate preferrential to the card company) but NO extra charges.

Dump the card and get a decent one.

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hi Michael (Feldman),

RW is not the direct importer of all their brands. There is a Mamiya UK for instance. RW buys its Mamiya stuff from it just like any other UK dealer. The profit margin is already built in and selling them to Americans at those prices RW still makes a healthy profit. RW is not giving away the farm here. Recover from your shock. This only means that Mamiya USA has been way over-pricing their products. There are also the respective Schneider, Toyo, Rodenstock, etc. UK distributors. About the only brand which RW imports directly is Ebony Camera from Japan.

It is not because RW is undercharging. Mamkiya USA and until recently, HP Marketing have been over-charging.

HP Marketing has actually lowered its Linhof and Rodenstock prices to keep more or less in line with international pricing recently. This is to be applauded as a consumer friendly move.

To some extent, I can understand the plight of the USA distributor as the bulk of the world's professionals are working in this market, the highest fees are paid here, the biggest photography market is here, they sell mainly to professionals, so why not charge them higher prices than elsewhere. It goes with the territory.

The internet has pretty much put paid to that idea as borders dissolve. You got to take the bad with the good and expect service levels to fall though. Remember that their American service and sales teams have to eat and want to live well too. This cross-border buying certainly has an impact on them.