Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best DSLR as lightmeter?

Best DSLR as lightmeter?

.....Just kidding

Re: Best DSLR as lightmeter?

Now Kev, don't forget I am close enough to you to "send in the lads" from the UKLFPG anti-digital police
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Not sure really would like to carry another camera. Suggest to try Pocket Light Meter on Iphone. But still not beating spot meter in low light.

What's the joke?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I suggest getting a Canon 1D Mk IV with an 800mm f/5.6 IS. Its really big and expensive, so it must have a good light meter in it, right?

You 8x10 shooters are used to carrying around a lot of heavy gear anyway, so whats a little more?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    What's the joke?
    Sorry Brian my mind was just full of mischief this morning when I had my wee -before work- scan around the forum!

Joanna please do...send them around asap and issue one of them with an application form for the UKLFPG. Maybe that way I'll finally be accepted into that exclusive group

I used to use the spot meter on my F5 when I bought my first view camera...great meter, awesome camera, but I'm glad that that nightmare's over

I've actually given this some thought.

For one thing, the camera needs to be inexpensive. The resolution isn't important. As the image falls on the sensor, one needs a pixel size that is no larger than the smallest highlight (in the scene) about which they would be concerned.

I'm thinking that, if one could find an example with some life still in it, a Canon 10D or 20D would do the trick. I mean, who would still want one of these cameras, given the resolutions available these days? (Certainly, none of us large format folks.) (Except for metering, of course.) These were professional cameras, so one has some control over the jpg. This might be advantageous, because one would meter according to the histogram, and the histogram is based on the jpg. The idea is to meter chromes such that the histogram doesn't truncate on the right. In this way, all highlights in the chrome would have detail. For negatives, one could meter so that the histogram doesn't truncate on the left. (Or the right maybe, depending on the particular situation.)

Selecting the lens(es) isn't that obvious, either. As with the camera, resolution (sharpness) isn't that important. But, I would think that having a good hood and the ability to control flare would be important. Compactness would also be nice. If my calculations are correct, the smallest focal length on the lens needs to be a sixth (for a 10D or 20D) the smallest focal length of the LF lens used camera. (3.75 usable film width times 1.6 as the sensor's full frame lens correction.) Sigma has a 17mm-70mm that might work for a range of LF lenses between 90mm and 420mm. For smaller LF lenses, one might need to resort to two digital lenses.

I've also thought about how one could use a digital camera to determine exposure. But, this thread is about selecting the best digital camera as a meter, so I'll stick to the topic at hand.

What about a Micro 4/3 camera? Reliable meter, actually usable as a camera, takes up far less space and weight than a DSLR...

I use my Panasonic G1 for metering all the time. You have to use some common sense and experience too but it beats lugging around one of those heavy, onerous, expensive, primitive light meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I use my Panasonic G1 for metering all the time. You have to use some common sense and experience too but it beats lugging around one of those heavy, onerous, expensive, primitive light meters.
    Absolutely. I get a light meter and instant preview at the same time.