Thread: Norman flash with other brands....?

Norman flash with other brands....?

Silly me I bought a Norman 200B without going into great detail on the hassle it'd be to purchase accessories.

Unfortunately the UK is totally dry for Norman accessories.

I bought the Norman to try out barebulb flash work, but I'd like to buy a diffuser of some sort (preferably a hard fronted one - to protect the bulb in transit).

On Photoflex I saw a speedring with this description:
    Strobe Connector SC-B9040PR fits:

* Hasselblad D-40
    * Lumedyne (all models)
    * Norman 200B, 400B, LH2, LH2K-ML, LHKL, LH52K-ML
    * Quantum (Q Flash) (all models)
    * Sunpak AutoPro 120J

Then on B&H I noticed a softbox saying:
    This 812315 19 inch octagonal softbox has a silver interior and removable front diffuser. Designed for Norman LH2 and LH52 portable heads, the OSB19-BP can also be used on most Quantum Q Flash and Lumedyne lampheads.

No speed ring adapter is required for Norman, Quantum or Lumedyne heads. Each Softbox attaches to the lamphead like a standard reflector. On Norman lampheads, just position over the flashtube and tighten the reflector locking screw. Speed ring adapters may be purchased for other flash heads.

Does that mean if I buy Quantum or Lumedyne accessories they should fit straight onto my LH2K lamphead?

Also, I noted somewhere that a different brand of flashbulb also fits and works? an 800w one?

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Norman flash with other brands....?

Ash
    I have two Armato bare bulbs, an NVS-1 [all converted vivitar 283s] and a Quantum unit, all use the same tubes and this means that the heads/reflector fittings are the same as Normans [nearly bought one of those too!]
    I have a diffused reflector which has a white glass bulb diffuser INSIDE the reflector which is pretty cool, unfortuntaely its at my other home in Ireland and can't go look at model number.
    The foldable Quantum softboxes [you can get square or round] are pretty cool too and should go straight on.
    Just keep searching Norman on ebay and you'll find one.............................
    Best
    Clive
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Thanks Clive, that's what I wanted to hear.

How ¡s the Norman battery pack compared to those that come with the Quantum and Lumedyne? Are they interchangeable?

They are not interchangeable, but you can get a replacement battery from these nice folks http://dasaga.com/index.html
    It is a lead acid battery and I feel that they are better than the original in that they will not take a memory like nicads.

I have two of these units and they are an excellent source of portable light for the money.

Had a play with the light last night. Very nice, so much more contrast than I'm used to; usually when I shoot in the studio there's softboxes and brollies, so it was quite a change.