Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wwhat Is Post Modernism In Photography?

Wwhat Is Post Modernism In Photography?

Pete, I'm right there with you on those comments-- very well put. I agree that the postmodern movement was inevitable because art reflects the culture of its time, and this is what's going on in our time. But, to me that's a sad, pessimistic result. My own opinion and hope, is that artists view their role as ELEVATING, rather than merely accepting and reflecting, the state of the world they live in. So, if an artist believes we live in a disjointed out-of-focus soul-less society, than that's all the more reason to work harder than ever to change that by producing works of depth and character and substance, rather than simply taking disjointed out-of-focus soul-less photographs.

To me, the latter approach is a cop-out. It allows the artist (sadly) to sit back and passively accept and wallow in the negativity he perceives, without making the effort to discover and capture substance or beauty or meaning in the world (and in his life). If all artists followed such a path, then the result would be a slow downward spiral-- crappy culture leads to crappy art, which influences culture to be more crappy, and so on. That's the message I want to whisper in the ears of PoMo artists: art influences people, including your own self, so put out the effort to make yours good!

~cj

Wwhat Is Post Modernism In Photography?

This is one of the good things of Art, it gives different impression and meaning to each viewer. What the previous poster sees as acceptance of the state of the world we live in i interpret it as a rebellion and critique and description of the alienation human being are experiencing.

What i see in many landscape photographer instead is a total denial of what's going on in and around themselves and use their craft as a form of self-masturbation. Having said this , i will also say that. probably both sides have a legitimate space. You cannot always be in owe of nature and you cannot always look at reality with a critical eye. The exhistence of both is necessary . The shame is that some individuals are not aware that at the end we are all working for the same purpose, and allow themselves to be so negative toward other people work. That's a shame.