Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall color enhancing

Lachlan 717

Re: Fall color enhancing

Just watch for banding in blue skies when you use a Polariser with wide angle lenses.

Very, very ugly and hard to correct in PS.

Apart from that, consider 2-2.5 stops impact on exposure.

That being said, I use one a lot.

There is also a warming Polariser made under Moose Peterson's name by Hoya. Nice enough filter.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    There's a Tiffen enhancing filter that uses rare earths to enhance the warm colors, albeit at the expense of a dirty cyan cast to the cooler colors to my eye. I have one and never use it, although it could be useful in rare situations.
    B&W also sells these "Redhancers" - which are rather neat from a optical science point of view as they cause a partial spectral shift in the yellow/red range. They mess with all colours though, and in a non-uniform manner, to make matters worse. If any, they are suitable for CN and digital - on high colour slides like Velvia they cause nasty casts that may be impossible to correct even in a digital postproduction.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Anyhow, I just got my first pair (actually 2) of prescription sunglasses, and the fall colors around here this season just jump right out at me.
    The sunglasses cut the glare. They may be coated which would cut the glare more. While this is not polarizing, polarizing has a similar effect.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

The red enhancers look pretty cool. But, in practice, are they really any better than just tinting the entire frame red? The "greenhancer" definitely just looks like a green-tinted filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Policar View Post
    The red enhancers look pretty cool. But, in practice, are they really any better than just tinting the entire frame red? The "greenhancer" definitely just looks like a green-tinted filter.
    I suspect the "greenhancers" and "bluehancers" (once?) sold by Hama to be a sham - these seem to be just the same as strong green or blue CC filters. The neodymium "redhancer" is a different beast, and looks grey in white light.

The redhancer does look interesting...

I just bought a "budget" brand 67mm didymium filter (redhancer) to see how I like it. I'll try it (on my digital camera first) and report back. The blue and green filters do look suspiciously useless, though. Hopefully this will be better.

The "redhancer" will work, maybe too much in some cases, but I'd also be interested to hear what you think it does to other colors...

Cheers, Steve

Any opinions of the B+W multi coated vs the non multi coated? I was looking at the Kaeseman version, but it does not come multi coated in linear, just circular ones come multi coated... at least according to B&H.

On the Singh-Ray FAQ he mentions that the pros don't outweigh the cons of having a multi coated filter. Can anyone elaborate on this?

By the way, this is how ignorant I was about circular polarizers. I thought the circular ones were the ones that you could turn to adjust, and linear was just a normal straight filter (no adjusting)...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There are two types of polarizers: linear and circular. Cameras with autofocus and autoexposure (not view cameras) require the circular polarizer so that it doesn't screw up the sensor readings. Linear polarizers are more effective at polarization, but the polarized light will usually cause autofocus and exposure problems. Both types turn to adjust.

Good discussions of filters and multicoating:
    Demystifying Multicoatings
    Hoya filters