Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

hi all, i have been building up a large format youtube channel aimed at novices, presented by a novice.

kinda aimed at bringing along newcomers to large format as i learn myself. a lot of the media is slightly flawed, the terminology gets mixed up, but i hope that there is a lot of important, and detailed information that may give viewers the push to jump into large format.

i know its not perfect, but thats not the point of it at all, thats the job of you guys to help people along in more detail, just like i have been helped.

anyway, feel free to add me, subscribe, or whatever

and the link is www.youtube.com/frederickaveryphoto

enjoy
    frederick

Re: a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

First of all, as a novice, thank you for taking the effort to share your information with others. There are a lot of people that learn by watching and doing and the internet and video makes the learning curve a bit easier.

As someone who produces video for educational purposes, I can say you're off to a good start! It's not easy to do this, I know. Two pointers: First the music in a couple of the pieces is distracting, particularly #3 and 6. Not sure if that's your soundtrack or just music that was playing in your room when you recorded. Secondly, I think the auto white balance on your camera might be "hunting" for WB as it appears to shift a bit or it's the autoexposure feature adjusting for shifting light. Either way it was a little distracting.

Hopefully people will see this and dip a toe into LF.

ahh thanks for the pointers yeah i need to sort that white balance thing out, the exposure jumps up and down hey?!

i think as time goes on i will turn down the music, and the choice of music may well get a bit easier to figure out too i started with music that was kinda organic and raw sounding, to match the camera and how it feels to me. but youre right, and ill bear that in mind for future videos

thanks for the input, my biggest obstacle is that when i have to remember something my mind automatically makes it difficult for me to grab the words!

frederick

Quote Originally Posted by frederickaveryphotography View Post
    ahh thanks for the pointers yeah i need to sort that white balance thing out, the exposure jumps up and down hey?!

i think as time goes on i will turn down the music, and the choice of music may well get a bit easier to figure out too i started with music that was kinda organic and raw sounding, to match the camera and how it feels to me. but youre right, and ill bear that in mind for future videos

thanks for the input, my biggest obstacle is that when i have to remember something my mind automatically makes it difficult for me to grab the words!

frederick
    Yup, I know the feeling. I used to make an outline on a giant piece of paper and hang it behind the camera, a poor man's teleprompter/cue card. But it was more distracting then helpful. I find it takes about an hour of practice and lousy takes to produce about 10 minutes of quality material. Stick with it though. Consider submitting to a site such as Instructables to get to a larger audience.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I would be better without the background music. Nothing wrong with the music, but it is distracting.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Well done Frederick, I agree with "no music" group.
    Ciao, Aldo

thanks guys, the music shall be dropped
    frederick

Great job Frederick
    The music didn't bother me a bit, infact I had to go back and watch again after reading the comments here about the music because I really didn't recall any music.
    I was a bit let down though, seeing that you are from the UK I assumed I would hear some Vampire Weekend

ive not heard any vampire weekend

i have to admit i do like the music, for the character and feel of the videos. i think it can be a bit staid with a silent background, i guess i just need to get the levels right

glad you liked

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

So where is number nine? Nine ... nine ... nine ... nine ...
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.