Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roll Film with a LF camera (4x5? 2x3?)

Re: Roll Film with a LF camera (4x5? 2x3?)

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I got my information on the Horseman VH-R 1 here: http://martyfoto.host.sk/horseman/horsemanVHR1.html
    I have both a VH and a VH-R (there's no "VH-R1" model - the "1" in that URL just refers to the first page of the sequence on that website reproducing the content of the VH-R instruction manual). Just to be clear for those who aren't familiar with these cameras, the VH-R has a viewfinder and rangefinder, the VH doesn't. The VF/RF housing adds a big chunk on top of the camera body. As a result, the VH is smaller and lighter than the VH-R, and much smaller and lighter than any of the Wista metal non-RF 45's (e.g., D, VX, SP), let alone the 45RF.

Quote Originally Posted by tendim View Post
    The Arca Swiss 6x9 FC looks like a beautiful machine, but seems very expensive! Money aside, how much does the unit weigh?
    It's specified as 2.2 kg. I'm not sure whether that weight includes the required rollholder adapter frame.

Re another inexpensive camera that might get mentioned: I have a short-rail, bag bellows baby Gowland sitting in the closet. As monorails go it's a tiny little thing, and on paper it sounds ideal for this intended use, but I'm afraid I can't recommend it. The design doesn't allow enough precision in movements or in front/rear standard alignment to do justice to a 55 on 6x7.

Thank you for the clarification, Oren.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The VH is considerably smaller and lighter. I just measured mine at roughly 6"x6"x3.75", and it weighs about 1.7kg. There's no point lugging a rangefinder if you're not going to use it.

In any case, it's moot. The OP wants to use a lens in the 50-60mm range. Much as I like the VH / VH-R, it's not well suited to that.
    FWIW, the second camera I linked to above, has a 65mm f/7 lens included, from the description.

It's specified as 2.2 kg. I'm not sure whether that weight includes the required rollholder adapter frame.
    The adapter frame for AS camera weighs 134g. The adapter frame together with the Horseman 6x9 roll film holder is at 552g (with no film inside and one empty film spool in).

The main OP's problem is the price limitation he puts on himself. Any view camera able to handle the short focal length lenses he wishes to use must be of a decent mechanical construction due to the precision movements requirements. A simple wooden spooky will not do.

George, my simple little wooden spooky works just fine with a 35/4.5 Apo-Grandagon. No movements but a little front rise, though.

My spiffier heavier 2x3 Cambo SC that looks much more precise can't focus the 35 Apo Grandy to infinity. That lens can indeed be used on a 6x9 proper view camera, but not on an inexpensive one. Modern ones made for digital backs, yes, but they're pretty dear. For inexpensive, its a simple little wooden spooky or nothing.

Peter, one can always argue that a simple hole in soil makes a good toilet too. And giving to the OP as an example a camera that has no movements when what he wants is just movements is not of big help either. There is a good reason why the digital backs cameras, made for short lenses, have greater mechanical precision than wooden spooky monkeys.

George, you must be thinking of my brother. I'm Daniel.

The OP seems to want more than he can pay for. Short lenses and movements. He has to give up something or raise more money.

With respect to simple holes in the ground, they serve.

Martin, you must be thinking of your uncle. I'm GPS. And sure I agree that the OP limits himself to an awkward combination than doesn't make sense in one way or the other. The holes serve sometimes, a well known fact...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Thank you for the clarification, Oren.
    Sorry to have sounded so cranky about it...

Not that I would like to be authoritative on this point but a quick search (Badger, LF Boutique) shows 2.4 kg for the AS 6x9 camera. I confess being too lazy to go and put my AS on the scale now- only because I would need to change to the conventional bellows on it...