Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is KEH still a good place to buy?

LF nub

Re: is KEH still a good place to buy?

I think KEH has very fair pricing for their used items. They're almost always priced right at used market value. That said, I wouldn't sell to them unless you're really desperate because like any store there's a huge disparity between what they'll pay you versus what that item will be sold for. Keh does have a good return policy.

My biggest gripe with them: They seem to dawdle on the shipping. Every time I order through them they wait almost a WEEK before they fill my order. Then it is shipped by what can only be described as a sled dog mush team, because it takes another couple of weeks to get to me from the date they supposedly ship it. They took so long one time that I had to call them numerous times to inquire about the order.

They really have to get on top of their shipping department is what I'm trying to say I guess.

I just got home and the B&H box was sitting on my desk. I ordered a used 120mm Super Angulon, misc. items and a 100' can of Ilford film. Another bad packing job by B&H. The 120SA didn't have a box because it was used and they put it in the same plastic bag as the can of film so they bang against each other. The shutter is damaged, the aperture arm is bent 45 degrees and the shutter blades can only close one stop and to an oval. I paid $60 shipping to get it here to Hong Kong and now must pay $35 airmail to send back a $440 lens.

My last B&H order was damaged too. Three months ago I ordered a used Gravity Works film washer and a Schneider 150mm HM. The film washer was in box and took up most of the outer packing box. B&H just dropped the lens in a nothing more than a plastic bag in whatever space was left with two inches of foam peanuts. The poor lens arrived all banged up and lens elements separating in the edges.

It take back my last post. KEH is much more professional then B&H.

Their selection is good and the prices are competitive but living in Canada, the killer for me is the FedEX shipping and surcharges. Has anyone else asked them to ship to Canada via USPS and were you successful?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare Berti View Post
    Their selection is good and the prices are competitive but living in Canada, the killer for me is the FedEX shipping and surcharges. Has anyone else asked them to ship to Canada via USPS and were you successful?
    I bought something today that will be shipped within the US. The sales person gave the USPS price and the FedEx price. Rather than use USPS which does not track a package, the sales person reduced the shipping and handling some.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I thought I'd contribute to this thread as I've bought $000s of kit from KEH over the years but today just had my first bad experience.

I picked up a Nikkor 120SW in "EX" condition. The glass is immaculate and I would be very happy, if it wasn't for the shutter which I think is defective. The shutter cocking lever does not return to its original position when moved, leading the shutter to not function correctly. Time, Bulb, 1s, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15 seem to work ok at times, but speeds from 1/60 through to 1/500 do not work properly. When cocking the shutter at these selected speeds, the shutter cocking lever sticks, so when the shutter is fired it does not close after the selected time, rendering it useless. The packaging was good so I don't think the lens has been damaged in transit.

Like I said, I have purchased many items from KEH before and have never had an issue like this. I would have expected the lens and shutter to be fully checked for mechanical working order and a CLA, especially in the EXCELLENT condition this lens was listed as.

Very strange.

I have to return the lens from Australia so it's likely I will be out of pocket to the tune of at least $100 in return shipping charges. I've only just emailed them so we'll see how things pan out in the coming days...

Disgruntled!

I've had good results from KEH over the years with one exception. A few months ago I bought a Pentax 67 and a 105mm lens from them. Both were rated LN-. I was not happy with their condition at all. The body was quite worn and worst of all the bayonet on the lens was bent so badly that it would not mount on the camera.

When I called to return the items the guy was very condescending and assumed I didn't know how to mount the lens. They did take the return though after a minor interrogation about how I was mounting the lens. He didn't blame be for the damage, he just thought the lens wouldn't mount because I was doing it wrong. I've used P67's on and off for ten years or so. They actually emailed me a return shipping label so I didn't have to pay for return shipping.

Against my better judgement, last week I saw a pretty good deal on a 110xl. It was Ex+. The lens arrived very quickly and it looks like new. It didn't have caps (but it didn't say that it did so no surprise there). But the lens is really nice and was packed well.

So it's like any used dealer--sometimes you may have bad luck but sometimes you can get good gear at good prices. I do wish you could see actual photos of what you're buying, but I guess with the volume they deal with it would be tough. And lead to higher prices...

I would never sell gear to KEH or any other dealer. They need to make a profit so you'll never get the true market value.

Since it is not in proper working order, they should refund the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 612tom View Post
    I thought I'd contribute to this thread as I've bought $000s of kit from KEH over the years but today just had my first bad experience.

I picked up a Nikkor 120SW in "EX" condition. The glass is immaculate and I would be very happy, if it wasn't for the shutter which I think is defective. The shutter cocking lever does not return to its original position when moved, leading the shutter to not function correctly. Time, Bulb, 1s, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15 seem to work ok at times, but speeds from 1/60 through to 1/500 do not work properly. When cocking the shutter at these selected speeds, the shutter cocking lever sticks, so when the shutter is fired it does not close after the selected time, rendering it useless. The packaging was good so I don't think the lens has been damaged in transit.

Like I said, I have purchased many items from KEH before and have never had an issue like this. I would have expected the lens and shutter to be fully checked for mechanical working order and a CLA, especially in the EXCELLENT condition this lens was listed as.

Very strange.

I have to return the lens from Australia so it's likely I will be out of pocket to the tune of at least $100 in return shipping charges. I've only just emailed them so we'll see how things pan out in the coming days...

Disgruntled!

Drew Wiley

I've never bought LF from KEH, but have bought P67 and Nikon stuff, and thought they
    rate stuff very conservatively. What I paid for EX+ would be any else's "mint". A friend
    of mine just bought quite a bit of Mamiya MF from them and I was amazed at what
    good quality he got at a reasonable price. The gear looked brand new, but was rated
    EX+.

Scott Davis

My only peeve about KEH's large format gear is their insistence on listing lenses by what size mounting hole they need in millimeters, instead of by shutter size, like the rest of the planet. I don't need to know if it takes a 42 mm mount, I need to know if it's in a Copal 0 or 1, or in the case of the odd vintage lens they have if it's an Ilex 3, 4 or 5. It was more annoying when I wasn't as familiar with various optics as I am now, but it still annoys me. Other than that, I've never had a bad transaction with them. A very long time ago I bought a film back for my Hasselblad that developed a problem within the return period. I called them up, and there wasn't a moment's hesitation on taking it back and refunding my money.

I've purchased everything from 35mm to LF stuff from KEH, and they have never let me down. Their prices are typically hard to beat, and their ratings are beyond conservative (BGN is a true bargain, and UG is what passes for EX- on eBay).

I prefer to buy on this forum or Rangefinderforum, but there are times when neither community has what I'm looking for (or they do, but it's priced creatively). In that case, KEH is a reliable alternative. If LFF, RFF and KEH combined don't have what I'm searching for, it's best to reexamine the need for the item before caving in to the headache that is eBay.