Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trust the HK Portable Strobes?

Would you trust the HK Portable Strobes?

I've seen a number of portable strobes, similar to lumedyne, norman, etc. They cost about £230 brand new with everything in a case.

Seems too good to be true!

Has anybody used them? A Norman 200B costs the same as one of these 400w Chinese kits, and I don't know if I should trust the old school or risk the new?

Re: Would you trust the HK Portable Strobes?

Check in at the Stobist - they have discussions somewhere on that site - my guess is that the Chinese stuff is improving all the time but you don't want to be the Beta tester for their new products.

I'd also be a wee bit concerned about safety, sync voltage, things like that.

Pretty much what I thought. Then again something as old as a Norman is just as likely to gimme a jumpstart. Looks like a bunch are on the fee site all the time so I can always buy one later on

I always poo-pooed the way people piss huge amounts of money on Pro-Foto strobes but after playing with them at a friend's studio... I understand now, especially for digital where you can see the changes to color temperature from shot to shot with the cheap and/or old stuff.

If I were shooting large format film it wouldn't matter, brute power is all you need, but if you are shooting people jobs with digital the newer strobes make editing a lot easier!

Perhaps the Paul C. Bluff Einstein is a cheaper alternative to the fancier brands but I don't think you can go as ghetto as I like to go (30 year-old Dynalites and the like).

I'm rarely shooting digi, but I need something more powerful/versatile than the ghetto SB27's I use a lot of the time. I'm thinking a norman + diffuser would be better all out. Then again with 1/30 sync on the Pentax 67ii I'll need a mini supernova to max out daylight for fill flash

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm rarely shooting digi, but I need something more powerful/versatile than the ghetto SB27's I use a lot of the time. I'm thinking a norman + diffuser would be better all out. Then again with 1/30 sync on the Pentax 67ii I'll need a mini supernova to max out daylight for fill flash

You'll run out of stops with a P67 anyway, unless you're using very slow film. Personally I use reflectors with mine. LED light panels might be a solution in some situations. The other way to go with the P67 is to buy a leaf shutter lens, might work out cheaper than the strobes.

Lumopro, the strobist input manual flash, works fine and cost $180 US new. Output is equivalent to the SB900 or Canon equivalent. They are manual strobes and have never failed me. The alternative is to look for used gear on Criags list or E Bay. Used Nikon SB 24/28 around $125 and this gives your iTTL if you shoot on the dark side.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I already have 3 SB-27's that I currently use 'strobist' style. I also have a Metz 45CL and a set of Bowens Gemini 600's with travelpak battery.

The powerful strobe is to be in between the Metz and the Gemini's. Lumopro wouldn't be any good.

Ended up going for the Norman. Paid half of the money but waiting on some money to clear before I can pay for it in full.

Next question, is there a cheap way of adapting household sync to pc sync?

Here in the UK, household isn't a popular format and i don't have a cable laying around, and can't find an adequate one for sale.

PC cord + US-UK travel adaptor + soldering iron/electrical tape.