Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Graphic lens boards on a micro lathe

Re: Drilling Graphic lens boards on a micro lathe

You don't even need clamps if you're using a face plate,
    I've cut large holes in 3/16 aluminum plate to make a
    holder for some Mole focusing spot attachments using
    some double stick tape and a live center on my lathe
    as well as some Bush pressman lens boards.

I definitely was wincing when I started but after the first it was
    a piece of cake. I found the double sick trick on the MIT site -

.http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/eh...achine-shop-10

The double stick tape trick is towards the end of the video.

Friendly advice, get very well aquainted with your lathe before attempting
    any real work to avoid injury.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a drill press and may try the lathe in the meantime with the face plate + clamps/tape after I make sure I know what I'm doing.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Barry,
    If your board is made of aluminum I can drill it for you. Just send me a PM.

Barry,

Like several other posters, I use a drill press and hole saw. You should have a Harbor Freight somewhere near you - I use one of their $50 drill presses and $3 hole saw kits. I also have a $5 adjustable cutter (someone showed a picture of one from home depot). Their tools aren't great - wear out quickly, and come drenched in oil (or they rust). And, the drill press table lock doesn't grab well unless you really crank it down. But, for things you don't do often, they get the job done just fine (pick up a couple of their clamps - probably $3 each) to hold the board to the press table with a piece of 2x6 in between.

I just picked up 3 of heavystar's undrilled boards - the undrilled ones are easier to work with because the hole saw pilot bit has something to grab onto and it'll walk less.

Dan

You don't necessiarly need a drill press. I use fixed size metal-cutting hole saws (about $14 per size at Lowes) and a AC-powered drill. That's probably the cheapest possible setup if you only need to drill the standard shutter sizes.

Going back to your original idea, as long as your jig holds the lensboard securely, and square to your spindle, you have a good setup for cutting your hole, certainly vastly more accurate than most other methods. I have used both flycutters in a drillpress and hole cutters. The flycutters want to dig in. The hole cutters are a little nicer to work with, but then you are limited to available sizes. Using a lathe, you can feed in much more smoothly and precisely than is possible with a drill press.

The tool bit you want is a "boring" tool. You could grind your own, but they are available all ready for use. These days many are carbide tipped, but either carbide or high speed steel is fine for your use.

Ok, just as I was thinking I could make a good jig (or buy a plate and clamps) and use a live center and some double stick tape to hold them--I found the Graphic lens boards are too big for the Micro Lathe. After some research on using lathes, I think it would have been fine, but my lathe is too damn small! I may take Armando up on his generous offer until I can find a drill press. In the meantime, I'll buy a few tools for the lathe (thanks Ernest) and try to figure something I can make.

Scott Davis

Barry-

I've mentioned this before to you - I have a drill press and a variable-diameter wheel cutter. Let me know when you want to drill these lensboards and I can hook you up.

Thanks Scott--I'd forgotten about that. I also have some Deardorff boards that need drilling, so maybe we can find a day to do those.

My drill press is still set up from a few days ago when I cut out some Graphic boards to #3 Copal.

I always make a jig to hold the board as shown in the photo. Cut a piece of plywood the width of the lens board (these are not square), then make cross cuts at the other dimension. Round off the corners and hold down the board with 1/4" wood screws and fender washers. Find the exact center after the board is mounted in the jig for the first time.

I finish off the hole with the sanding wheel at right.