Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

Re: Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

I beg to differ..I think that buying a kit for WPC work is smart, it will allow you to start off right away, and find out if WPC is your thing..or not..

Acquiring yourself ether, pure ethanol, collodion, cadium bromide etc is not easy (depending on you location) and can easily become expensive (WPC requires substantial money, silver prices have gone through the roof).

If you like it and get hooked than getting the stuff and mixing it yourself is cheaper in the end, allows you more control (and more options to fail), you can mix your own recipe.

Take in account that most people start to buy dedicated lenses (those Petzvals) and camera's after a while..and perhaps a dark box too

Have fun, and perhaps join Quinn Jacobson Wet Plate Forum (StudioQ)

Best,

Cor

Cor, I would agree, but there have been some issues with some of the premixed stuff. Problem solving is a big part of the process, and that is pretty hard to do with everything already set.
    That said, to each their own.

Yup, I heard too that there were issues, but i thought these were solved. AFAIK the custmer service of B&S is great.

I never bought a kit, mix everything myself. Just tried to give a reality check here, it's quite an undertaking to start WPC and I respect people embarking on it. I have a chemical background and easy access to equipment and chemistry, not sure I would have ventured so far in wet plate land without the knowledge and resources I have..

Best,

Cor

Scott Davis

The big advantage of ordering the B&S kit is that everything comes at once, from one supplier, who will give you advice on problem solving. I agree that doing your own in the long run is better, because you'll develop fine process control skills. However, if you order everything separately to mix yourself, it's easy to end up with way too much of certain chemicals and not enough of others, and that's hard to manage until you've got some experience under your belt with making the plates and know your burn rates on certain items. I've talked to the folks at Bostick & Sullivan before about the wet plate kits and it's my understanding that the target audience for the kit is exactly the beginner looking to try without making a major investment, not the die-hard or the experienced practitioner.

I am sure Dana and co have got the bugs out. The kits with the camera and all are pretty cool.

There are some real bars to entry. In some ways I think it has kept it safer. Even with the kits the price tag is prohibitive enough to keep out dabblers that may end up abandoning the chemistry. I can not imagine the hell my friends and I would have raised with a jug of collodion and silver nitrate.

OTOH, more collodion artists means stable consistent vendors and better prices for all.