Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page magnifier/Fresnel for 8x10 found for $1.99

Page magnifier/Fresnel for 8x10 found for $1.99

Back into the same thread topic about these things working well as a fresnel for much brighter image on screen for an 8x10.

I was at Dick's 5 and Dime in Branson, Mo. today and found one by Bazic Products out of Vernon, Ca.

The one that I bought at a traditional office supply a few weeks ago was around $12.00. This one was $1.99 and I can't tell any difference in quality or results.

Full size is 8.5x11, just like the more costly version.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Page magnifier/Fresnel for 8x10 found for $1.99

I saw one at Wal-Mart for $10 or so. That was too much, but if I saw one for $2 I would snatch it up and try to make a replacement for my scratched Speed Graphic fresnel.

How thick is the one you got?
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Eyeballing it against a regular ruler, it looks to be right at 1/16". That's virtually the same as the more expensive on from the office supply with just about the same flex, maybe a hair stiffer, which I would prefer as the other one tends to slightly curve away from the anchor points.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I purchased two fresnels from a fleabay seller. What is the hot tip on installing them on an 8X10?

Quote Originally Posted by joselsgil View Post
    I purchased two fresnels from a fleabay seller. What is the hot tip on installing them on an 8X10?
    One way to do it:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...39&postcount=8

On my Master, I simply had a friend with a machine shop cut the fresnel to size, loosened the clips for the glass and inserted the fresnel and replaced the clips.

Newb question - in this installation are you placing this on top of the GG or under/between the lens and GG? If it goes between the lens and GG, don't you have to mill the surface upon which the GG rests in the amount of the thickness of the fresnel?

Quote Originally Posted by bvaughn4 View Post
    Newb question - in this installation are you placing this on top of the GG or under/between the lens and GG? If it goes between the lens and GG, don't you have to mill the surface upon which the GG rests in the amount of the thickness of the fresnel?
    Usually, you put the GG in first, ground side facing the lens. On top of that goes your Fresnel with the ridged side facing the lens as well. Some manufacturers flip the two (GG on top of Fresnel), but for most it works better the first way I described.

Thanks Ari!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Brilliant!

Sometimes I worry that today's LF fotogs are losing touch with the spirit of the medium (what with DSLRs and iPhones as lightmeters, and such.) But now here's a low cost, low tech approach to solving a problem that is exactly in the spirit of the Masters (by "Masters" I mean: "old guys who used those Speed Graphics when they were new.")