Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 Storage? the best solution?

Re: 4x5 Storage? the best solution?

I thought it would be helpful to check a HABS/HAER thread. It seems their specification is for a sealed traditional sleeve 5 3/8 x 7 3/8 even for 4x5. Same site recommended by Vaughn has them. Negative Envelopes, Conventional Style.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I use either PrintFile pages, [similar products,] or FreeStyle's generic equivalent.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Matus,

Do they oben at the top or towards the middle?

Also, I cant seem to get the webpage to go into a english language.. does it work for you?
    Sorry for a late answer. The sleeves open from top. But given the properties of the material there is no way the sheets could fall out even if you would out then inverse in the binder. The material is not slippery relative to film. That is an important advantage over the PVC ones.

You are right - the english version of the webpage does not seem to work. I may drop them a mail if you wish, but I would be confident that you should be able to make an order via email (the definitely do speak english and they do answers emails - have tried that recently) at info@fotoimpex.de.
    Matus

Looking through the Printfile website, it seems that "FF45 (package of 50) 075-0450" would be a good initial start coupled with the "45-1 (package of 100) 030-0210". But when you look at both packages, they both have an opening which allows the negative to slip out one end! (The same end in both storage products above). Would it not be better to have the FF45 transparency sleve folds over so that the long edge could slip and the when it is slotted into the 45-1, the negative should not be able to slip out of the storage and would be protected from all four edge sides!!

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can purchase an alternate to the FF45 which would still be compatible with the 45-1?

I have been using this hanging file system for everything from Minox to 8x10 for 25 years and it works well.

Best are folders for 4x5 paper. Not envelopes. Just folders made from archival paper. You can write all information on them and there are no seams to ever cause a problem. Also, no static electricity from plastic sleeves.

The folders go upright in a 4x5 negative storage box. All this is available from lodimaarchivalmaterials.com

The folders are $16.50/50 and the boxes are from $5.25 to $6.25 depending on quantity ordered. I have been filing negatives this way for at least 35 years and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Michael A. Smith