Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is gerared focusing?

How important is gerared focusing?

One other factor you notice in vintage cameras. After time, certain focus ranges/points (the ones commonly used) tend to become loose or bumpy because of wear. I expect the best modern cameras (Sinar, Arca, etc.) have tracks and gears that wear only slightly with time and, hopefully, are replaceable. With our vintage cameras, we do "transplants" from donor materials. I can only say that something as ancient as a 4x5 Korona view camera can have excellent front and rear focus, allowing discrete movements and precise-to my eye-focusing. GO

Curtis,

For my own work, I find geared focusing helpful. I could probably live without it, though.

I'm borrowing a top-of-the-line Linhof Kardan Bi monorail, which has geared fine-focus that is silky smooth. I like having this because I think that it makes life easier, although I've never used friction focus. After using the geared focus I decided that any camera I bought in the future would need to have it.

I think that if your budget allows, you would be happy with geared focus, but if the budget is tight I wouldn't worry about using friction focus.

Geared or friction doesn't matter as long as you have a knob that is smooth and precise. My cameras have geared, but I have a Durst 138 enlarger that has both focus and head adjustments using friction. They are smooth and precise. I don't think anyone will suspect Durst was compromising quality in this design.

Yes Per, the Sinar p(2)s are a delight to use, with geared everything. I also have a Manfrotto tripod with geared everything... but #4,500 for the bellow unit is a great deal of money.

Dick.

Bought all my Sinar stuff on ebay. I will never purchase new camera gear retail again. If you are careful and know what you are after you can get a fantastic system for half (or less) of retail.