Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toyo metal field 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

Re: Toyo metal field 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

I don't have a Toyo 4 3/4 x 6 1/2, but I do have a Premo-style half plate camera. I have found some Graphic-style (the usual kind) half-plate film holders, and they will work in the camera. However, they are really a little too small for the film holder slot. I have tried 5x7 film holders and they will also work in the camera. They, also, are a little smaller than I would like but they fit better than the half-plate holders. I've recently brought one of the book-style half plate film holders from Great Britain. That is the best fit in this camera. At any rate, you should try 5x7 film holders to see if they will fit. I bet they will. True 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 film holders are quite rare. Most I find are really glass plate holders.

I have made it very clear in several previous posts that the film holders that fit the Toyo Field half plate back are the proper Toyo Field half plate holders. They are available used in the Japanese market. I recommend you ignore other less informed posters, who suggest other film holders might fit, and and source the correct ones.

I use my camera in the field with the half plate back. The Toyo Field folds up with a Kodak 203mm f7.7 lens mounted, making a very convenient, and robust package.

The only half plate film I have found available is Wephota B&W 100 ASA & 25 ASA so I use that. I've built up a little stockpile in the freezer which gives me some long term security.

At first I was determined to get a 5x7 back made for this camera, to make it more standard and increase the film choices. However I'm settling into the zen like simplicity of using just the 2 films I have available. The half plate back is lighter than a 5x7, as are the unique film holders, so it's lighter for carrying around. As for the film size, half plate is just 1/2" less wide than 5x7 so who's bothered? It's still a great size for contact printing.

I also have the 4x5 back but don't use it much in this configuration. I suppose I would need to use 4x5 for colour, or I could cut 8x10 sheet film down to half plate.

The Graphic lens boards mean that my lenses can be swapped between my Crown Graphic and the Toyo.

One limitation is that the bellows are not very long. Maximum extension is 370mm, but the longest lens I use regularly is a Nikon 300M. The shortest is a SA 90mm f8. I have just got a 15" Wollensak telephoto to try for close portraiture. The camera is best suited to small to medium sized lenses. If you need to use larger, faster and heavier glass then the Rittreck 5x7 field is a better choice. But the Rittreck is a lot heavier.

All in all it's a great little field camera that seems to have a small, but passionate following. Or maybe it's just me that gets over excited!

Hi to all,

First, thank you very much to all of you for your contribution.

I got the camera today, in 99% new condition. Frightening, how compact and light it is. Regular 5x7 holders definitely do not fit in the 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 configuration.

Guess I will have to adapt a 5x7 back, like some of you previously did.

A few more questions, please.

- When was this camera built?
    - Do the lens boards on Ebay auction No 200504909876 fit?
    - Was there ever an adapter available to mount Technika lens boards, or did someone make an adapter?

Thank you in advance and best regards

Thierry Schreiner

My advice is to use the half plate back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Schreiner View Post
    - Do the lens boards on Ebay auction No 200504909876 fit?
    - Was there ever an adapter available to mount Technika lens boards, or did someone make an adapter?
    Thierry, both Midwest and SK Grimes sell lensboards which are nicer than originals, which tended to have loose tolerances and be made from too-soft aluminum.

I made such a Technika-Graphic lensboard adapter (using a Toyo Field-Linhof TK adapter). Because the TK board is bigger than a Graphic board, and in fact wider than the front standard struts, the adapter needs an additional spacer to mount the adapter far enough out. This also means that the camrera won't fold with the adapter lensboard in place.

Also, I had to mill recesses in the back of the adapter board to provide clearance for the screws which hold the lensboard sliders on the camera.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Thank you very much for all you replies.

I guess I will follow jackpie s advice. John, thank you very much for illustrating your project.

Best regards from Fance

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Schreiner View Post
    Hi to all,

Just bought a Toyo metal field camera 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.

Can you please help me with the following:

- What are the appropriate lens boards and where to find them?

- Do international 5x7 film holders fit this camera?

- Any general comments on this camera?

Thank you in advance and best regards

Thierry Schreiner
    I had one for many years with the rotating 4x5 back. It takes speed graphic lens boards. Excellent camera...you need to remember how to close it. I've seen the bellows damaged by improper closing.

Here is my Toyo Field 4 3/4x6 1/2. I use Speed and Crown Graphics and Pacemaker adapter boards on Toyo Views and Calumet C2. I modified the back to accept a late production Toyo Focus panel and ground glass. I did not like the bail arrangement on the factory back as it interferes with viewing devices like the Toyo shown. Less extension makes it possible to focus the 47mm Super Angulon XL to infinity. Also shown is an originial Field Camera back with barlocks to accept newer Toyo Backs Fixed or revolving .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0015.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	246252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	246253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0017.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	246254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	246255