Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: dumping 8x10 and sticking with 4x5. anyone regret?

Re: dumping 8x10 and sticking with 4x5. anyone regret?

I gave up 8X10 years ago, in favor of 4X5. For me, it was more a matter of my vision, my way of seeing. A friend pointed out to me that with the 8X10, due to weight, difficulty, and expense, I was taking fewer visual risks, and looking for what I knew would be a good contact print. I switched back to 4X5, and I have, indeed, seen the growth in my vision.
    Steven

I've had a love-hate relationship with 8x10 cameras. I love using them, I don't like the limitations their size and weight and limited number of film holders I could carry imposed on the kind of photographs I made with them.

So I'd buy one, use it while love was ascendant, then when hate took over I'd sell it. Then I'd regret the sale and a year or so later buy another one and repeat the process. I did that 4 different times in about a 10 year period (2 Deardorffs, 2 Kodak 2Ds). I presently am still in the hate stage from my last one which I sold several years ago so I don't own an 8x10 camera at the moment.

I also owned a 5x7 (Agfa-Ansco) and sold it fairly quickly. For the kind of thing I do the contact prints were too small and I didn't own a 5x7 enlarger (this was before I got out of the fume room and switched to printing digitally).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've shot both 4x5 and 8x10 and found the GG on the 4x5 too small for me. 8x10 is large enough to really get involved in the decision you make for a negative. I enjoy the process of the equipment a lot more than 4x5. I always despised enlarging so making 8x10 contact prints is perfect for me. Just really depends on whether a camera gets use, when I have one that doesn't get used I just sell it off. Cheers

Interesting and worthwhile thread!

Some 8 years ago I thought I wanted a 8*10 both for contact prints and alt. processes. I bought a nice Toyo Field 810M but for the reasons mentioned above it was used much less then anticipated.

That is until 2 years ago I jumped into the wet plate world and I now use the Toyo frequently, but still mostly in the house, despite being a field camera, the total system weights a lot I transport either by car or by bakfiets.

For outdoor wet plate work I recently switched to an old folding whole plate camera, giving the same size as my modified 8*10 standard holder I use in the Toyo..it's amazing how much smaller and lighter the whole plate set up is (no option for those huge Petzvals, but outside I use those small rapid recliners, no problem.)

I still enjoy the rigid and precise Toyo, it's a nice camera, and I am not planning to sell it, for outdoor work I use mainly my 4*5 Tech III from 1954, and enlarge in my darkroom. I did have the privilege to print one of my 8*10 negatives in the darkroom of a friend, and there is a certain edge above a print from 4*5 (this one was 50*60cm), but a 8*10 enlarger is beyond the space of my tiny darkroom

Best,

Cor

Probly not gonna happen at our house on my watch. The old 2D seems easier to me than the Cham 4X5

Here is a landscape image I made on 8x10.

The JPG file might not reveal the advantage of 8x10 when shooting landscape images - because of JPG artifacts - but the 12x15 print does.

I use both the 8x10 and 4x5 for my work.

I would suggest subject matter and workflow have a impact of the decision to dump 8x10 for 4x5.

I would also add: if you have a hybrid workflow (film/scan/inkjet print) then a 4x5 shot on very fine grain film (ie TMax 100), scanned on a high end scanner (ie my Cezanne) printed on Byrata paper with a RIP is the complete equal of 8x10 film processed and printed up to a large print (24 x 36).

To ME: Shooting 8x10 is purely for the joy of that large groundglass. Personally speaking, I just see better on the larger GG.

bob

I think there was a scuttlebutt a few years ago when Edward Burtynsky went from 8x10 to 4x5 for his highly detailed large format environmental pictures... bottom line was that a rigid 4x5 like a Technika, used with the best modern lenses and film, scanned high-end, produced very detailed giant prints that suited him.

It certainly makes sense from a logistics standpoint, going to China with 8x10 would be a lot harder.

I wonder how much of a difference really maxing out your gear to be optimal would make? A rigid Linhof (not some wooden thing), a sturdy CF tripod, the latest Schneider lenses, 100-ISO film....?

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think there was a scuttlebutt a few years ago when Edward Burtynsky went from 8x10 to 4x5 for his highly detailed large format environmental pictures... bottom line was that a rigid 4x5 like a Technika, used with the best modern lenses and film, scanned high-end, produced very detailed giant prints that suited him.

It certainly makes sense from a logistics standpoint, going to China with 8x10 would be a lot harder.

I wonder how much of a difference really maxing out your gear to be optimal would make? A rigid Linhof (not some wooden thing), a sturdy CF tripod, the latest Schneider lenses, 100-ISO film....?
    Well for one thing, I don't think I hold the same standards for my images that some big photographers might. I'm perfectly happy with the quality images I get from my 4x5. Which is why my 8x10 usually stays home
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Whatever your choice, regret it not. It's the image that counts, and life is short.
    Mike