Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak LF Film Availability

Kodak LF Film Availability

I listened to the 10/2/10 Inside Analog Photo podcast today. It was an interview with Scott DiSabato from Kodak. He mentioned that it was Kodak's intention to only sell film, 8x10 and larger on a group or special order basis. Had anyone else heard this from any other source before?

Re: Kodak LF Film Availability

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    I listened to the 10/2/10 Inside Analog Photo podcast today. It was an interview with Scott DiSabato from Kodak. He mentioned that it was Kodak's intention to only sell film, 8x10 and larger on a group or special order basis. Had anyone else heard this from any other source before?
    Did he talk about *replacing* current regularly available products with special order sales? Are you sure it wasn't about adding special orders (a la Keith Canham)? Although it wouldn't surprise me at all, since I thought packaging film in 10 sheet boxes would put 8x10 film in a death spiral. The next step down from a 10 sheet box is a zero sheet box. Unless they start packaging it in individually wrapped single sheets--like cheese.

I haven't heard anything regarding the availability of current 8x10 films, but perhaps this goes hand in hand with the current program being organized through Canham Camera?

I hope they don't pull off their current 8x10 films, it already feels like an eternity waiting a week or two for my TMY-2 to arrive. >__<

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Unless they start packaging it in individually wrapped single sheets--like cheese.
    0__0 Oh God no!

That's exactly the type of stuff he was talking about. He even named Canaham as an example of the model they were moving towards. Frankly, he sounded like a big prick. Basically saying it will be on the buyers shoulders to get organized and come to Kodak on bended knee, hat in hand begging for this film.

Listen here. Jump to the -10:00 mark.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I just looked at Freestyle's web store, and they have a note about Kodak Tmax 100 8x10:
    "Currently Out of Stock - Item overdue from vendor - Please call for more information. "

Hmmm.....

Well, I bulk ordered Portra 400NC earlier this month. It sounds like it's time to stock up on 160NC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Well, I bulk ordered Portra 400NC earlier this month. It sounds like it's time to stock up on 160NC as well.
    Sounds like it is ALL on the chopping block in 8x10 and larger. I'm even more worried about E100G. Right now E100G is the ONLY E6 8x10 film from Kodak or Fuji that is available at Adorama or BH in New York.

I need to make some decisions about the 2-3 year project I am currently working on. I have used on this project (for color) E100G and 160NC (and have been trying Ektar, but so far don't like the colors as well as E100G). I feel like I either need to stock up on 10 boxes of E100G and 5 boxes of 160NC or resign myself to just using whatever is available as I go along. I still can't make up my mind if it is worth buying $1,500 of film right now or just playing it by ear and hoping I can do group buys of E100G later on after they've stopped selling it retail, as I believe they will (and soon probably!).

John

I listened to that section of the podcast and there's nothing new as far as I can tell. DiSabato sounded pretty matter of fact and reasonable, but I thought the host was condescending at points. Eventually, 8x10 purchases won't support traditional retail sales channels, and they'll move towards special orders.

I have a radical idea. Kodak should stop expiration dating 8x10 and larger film. They should tell the 8x10+ULF community they're going to distribute cuts from a current master roll until it sells out regardless of manufacture date. As long as the film is refrigerated, it should be good for a long time. Even in a camera store under less than optimal conditions, a little color shift doesn't mean much these days. Under an undated stock system, the disincentives for producing and stocking 8x10 (and larger) film become much smaller.

Barry, that is a fantastic idea. I would gladly buy 10 year old film if it was stored properly and sold with a "born on" date.

I don't know what will happen in the future, but I'm buying a small reserve of 8x10 film just to be sure I have color materials in the short term.