Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping advice (4x5) please

Shopping advice (4x5) please

I'm beginning my search for a 4x5 field camera. I plan to use it for a little bit of everything, landscapes, portraits etc. Not architecture, but just about anything else. Expect to use glass in the 120 to 300mm plus range. I've been looking at the stats for a number of used cameras and 300mm seems to be a pretty common maximum bellows extension, which would preclude my going past 300, as I understand it.

Three options keep popping up on my radar:

1. Used Wista or Wisner. The Wisners tend to have bellows extensions of greater than 300mm, which could be useful. I'm concerned that the company is out of business and it will be impossible to get parts/repair should it be necessary. Should I let that drive my decision? Are they reliable cameras?

2) New Shen Hao. Max bellows is 300mm, though I understand that it could go a little longer with some contortions of the front standard etc. For the price of a used camera, I'd be getting a brand new one. Company still in business for parts and repair. Dealer support. I cannot tell from any pictures on dealer sites whether these cameras have bubble levels built into them ( a feature I like).

3) Speed or Crown. I almost made an offer on the one Frank had up last night. People seem to either love or hate it as an entry level 4x5 because of the limited movements. I'm not movement-obsessed but don't want to be limited either. I really never plan to hand hold a 4x5. Indifferent about the RF capabilities.

I'm leaning toward the Wisner. There are several kicking around, including some owned by members here, and they are available now. But I'd like some input from those who've made this decision before me.

Thank you in advance
    Bob

Re: Shopping advice (4x5) please

I've got a speed graphic and wouldn't recommend it that highly unless you are planning to handhold which is something you are ruling out.

I would add toyo and chamonix to your list.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I bought a Pacemaker Speed Graphic because it can be used hand held or as a view camera. I used on years ago in high school so I knew I would use it hand held. As I use it as a view camera, I am learning. Later, if I want, I can consider something like you choice 1 or 2 and still keep the Speed for hand held work.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

A used Walker 4x5 might work. I have a toyo 45AX, and I regularly use a 300mm on it. To go longer, though, you'd need one of the back extensions, which unfortunately are ridiculously expensive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

falth j

Perhaps, you could be happy with a monorail?

They are plentiful, some are light enough to break down and backpack with, and most have plenty of parts available on the internet, and not the least of which, they tend to be fairly cheap.

How about a Deardorff Special? Actually a 5x7 camera with a 4x5 revolving back. http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/V4-V5_FS/V4_V5fs.htm

I use to use one (actually a copy of one). A bit extra weight, but 22" of bellows -- over 550mm. All the movements you need...and slap on a 5x7 back and you are ready to jump up in format! (That is what I eventually did.)

Parts and repair of wooden field cameras -- sometimes just a matter of finding a skilled woodworker/cabinetmaker, or the services of someone like Richard Ritter...or Grimes for lens related issues.

Vaughn

Bob, since your on Long Island, there's got to be someplace in Manhattan to see and handle some different models. It's really the best way to go.

You should at least try some cameras made of metal. I think a lot of idealists get pretty wooden camera toys to start with and think they are the way things should be because that's all they know.

I also think learning how to use movements is much easier with a traditional monorail, even if they are ugly/bulkier. They are so cheap you could rationalize having both - Calumets are only $100, Sinar Fs are only $300.

I like to think of Crowns as not even having movements, you just use them like a medium format camera on steroids. They have their place but if you are struggling with using movements, they aren't going to work for you.

Since there are so few good camera shops that stock view cameras, you could just buy and sell a few online, like on this forum. If you have some common sense and do your homework, you pretty much break even and that way you can give all the major kinds a spin.

If I were really serious and wanted to learn the most, then I'd start with a $300 Sinar F; a $500 Shen-Hao or Wista DX; a $300 Crown; maybe a $6-700 Toyo A, Wista VX, or old Technika. Using these would answer all your camera questions so you can decide which is best for you. Then you can unload the extras and maybe could upgrade within the category, like from a cheap Sinar F to a nicer Norma or P2.

If you want to use 300mm, you need more than 300mm of bellows, unless you're happy focusing only at infinity. That rules out Wistas, Tachiharas, and Osakas.

You might look for a used Zone VI, plenty of bellows, better-built than Wisners, while basically the same design. eBlecch has a boatload right now. MidWest and/or Badger are probably good, reliable sources, too. It's all the camera you'll ever need.

Richard Ritter makes a nice living repairing Wisners, and less often, Zone VIs. He either has parts, or makes them at need. He also has lensboards. No worries on service.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

LJ Segil

Suggest you might consider the cameras from Keith Canham, either traditional or metal might suit your needs. I use the traditional models, one doubles as a 4x5/5x7 with 26" of bellows, expanding your lens choices well beyond 300mm, and my second Canham traditional is his 8x10 model (36" bellows) which I also use with a 4x10 reducing back (and it can in fact also take the 4x5 and 5x7 backs with a simple adapter, giving all your common formats with a single camera. 6x17cm Panos are also available with his excellent roll film holder for the 5x7 back). Obviously, I like his cameras very much. They are very well constructed, provide abundant movements with simple controls, the flexibility is great, Keith's support is top-notch, and their weight is not prohibitive for use as a field camera.
    I have no connection with Keith Canham, other than that of a very satisfied user.
    Larry