Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mono Lake Area early November

Preston Birdwell

Re: Mono Lake Area early November

Just to whet your appetite, Gil...

Lee Vining Creek at the Aspen Campground.

As David said, the whole area is magical! Take lots of film!
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

'"Alabama Hills" style rocks can also be found just above Mono Lk on the way to
    Conway Summit, though to get close you've got to take dirt roads, and also along the
    paved road past Benton. With Regard to the open pass ambiguity which Preston mentioned, one can get conflicting information from the Park Service versus Cal Trans,
    since these agencies are basically in a rivalry for who should control and maintain
    Hwy 120. I've been to the top of Tioga when it was reported open but was in fact
    closed at the top. Generally, the first snow after the 1st of Nov is the customary date
    for closing the pass and most Forest Service roads as well. But all the side roads leading to Lundy Can, Mammoth, Convict Lake, McGee Creek, Rock Cr, etc, and probably Virginia Lks will be open unless there is a big snowfall.

Here's a page of things done with Per Volquartz in 2006. Across Tioga Road from the Lee Vining Ranger station is Log Cabin Mine Rd. Drop 37° 56.692'N 119° 8.916'W into Google Earth to fly to some lovely buildings not quite 100 years old that was the summer home of L. C. Brand, the water co. tycoon of Glendale Ca. There is a lovely large log house and seperate 3 bedroom structure built by Italian stone masons from local granite. It is still private property, so respect it as such if you explore up there. The aspen forests that you weave through on the old mine road are superb and park like.

Wow, what a helpful group! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have made many trips to Mono and Inyo County from central California and am somewhat familiar with weather concerns. Having said that, I do want to thank all of you who provided suggestions for having a safe trip. This time I decided to concentrate on the Mono Lake area which I usually drive past on the way to Bishop. I like to drive or walk around trying to avoid the areas that I believe to be "over exposed." I do like to take photographs from a little different point of view. Will be using black & white film only.

Again thanks

A yellow filter will render any remaining Fall colors faithfully -- very nice tool to have. When using B&W and a yellow filter, the yellow leaves seem to me to have the same feel and impact as their yellow color does when using color film (and just our eyes.)

One of these days I will wander over to the fissure area of Mono Lake -- just haven't made it there yet. have a great trip!

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 28-Oct-2010 at 18:46.

Gil,

All my favorite places have been mentioned (e.g., Navy Beach, Lundy Creek), but one obvious and one less visited are the Forest Service Visitors' Center and the Mono County park on the northwest side of the lake. The FS Visitors' Center is interesting in itself (though it closes 11/30), but the main interest of the likes of us is the sheltered, level, high ground on its lake side. It has good views of Paoha and Negrit Islands. They are good subjects when there is some weather to make it more interesting and the Visitors' Center blocks the wind and rain or whatever weather lured you there. The County park is sort of the left-over, mediocre views compared to the some of the better known places, but may yield something interesting There is a nice board walk too. Also, there is a dirt or sand road all the way from South Tufa to the County Park; rain or snow may make it a challenge though.

You didn't ask about food, but some of the best is in the gas station on the south side of 120 after turning west off 395. Its a seasonal place though.

Good luck and bad weather (or good if you prefer.)
    John Hennessy

I have just been in the Lee Vining area today, Thursday, October 28. At 7:00 a.m it was 22 degrees F. The weather forecast is for 60% chance of Snow on Saturday with high winds.
    I managed to visit Mono lake at sunrise and sunset on different days. As the sun went down the crowds were building at the south Tufa site.

I shoot 4x5 and at least 5 people stood behind or beside me with their digital cameras and banged off several shots. I could hear the camera, that is how close they were to me. I even had to ask one person, who stood in front of my lens, to move.

I have been to Mono Lake many times as the light is always different. But I don't remember the crowds being this bad at this time of year.

Anyway, it is a wonderful area and you should explore it for yourself.

Dress warm, have lots of water and food, and be prepared if an emergency should it happen.

I believe the Whoa - Neli Deli closes on November 1 so you will miss their great food.

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Don Nelson

Road closures - history
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm
    Note that over half of the years, Tioga does not close until after the middle of November, and sometimes as late as December 11 (and sometimes by mid-Oct).

Current Tioga Pass road conditions http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
    Call 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1) for the most up-to-date conditions

Unfortunately the webcam at Tioga Pass has been out of service for the past 8 months. http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Try Benton Springs for old buildings and rusty things -- nearly to Hiway 6, east of Mono Lake. Note that this section of 120 is closed in winter after the first snow, but you can detour south on 395 to Bishop then north on 6.

Don Nelson

...and Bishop has the old Southern Pacific Narrow guage museum in Laws....

And the Bristlecones in the Whites always call, if not already snowed in.

Drew Wiley

I've never had a problem with people bothering me on the lake shore, though John Sexton once wandered over to get a momentary break from his workshop students.
    Just pick a path one way or the other, avoid the numerous mucky wet areas, and
    there will be plenty to photograph. It's a big lake. But avoid primitive roads in pumice
    dust, which can be nearly impassible to even 4WD. This area warrants a lifetime of
    photo trips, so it's almost redundant to recommend this specific spot or that. There
    are interesting things to see everywhere, and I personally makes those decisions on
    the spot depending on specific weather and lighting conditions. The days can be warm
    and the night crisp, unless an actual storm moves in. The road north of the lake leads
    over to Hawthorne and Walker Lake, which is an interesting area in its own right.