Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographic Pictorialism by Tinley

Photographic Pictorialism by Tinley

Just saw a copy of this 1930 book in a local small bookstore. It looked interesting as an addition to my pictorialism collection. It was in nice condition, but a bit pricey, so I wanted to ask if anyone has read this book and whether they might have any comments. Worth the read and worthy of owning a copy?

Thanks
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Photographic Pictorialism by Tinley

id think if you have a collection there wont be anything new said in this one so i say no

at this point youre buying as another addition

how interested are you if you need input from others?
    i dont see it
    dunno

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    id think if you have a collection there wont be anything new said in this one so i say no
    Have you read this book? Others on pictorialism?

at this point youre buying as another addition
    I believe that is what a collection is. Books on the same basic topic, but different in style and content.

how interested are you if you need input from others?
    i dont see it
    dunno
    Why does anyone ask any question on this forum? Thanks for your very valuable input. I'll wait for some comments from others who may have something coherent and interesting to contribute to my question.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Have you read this book? Others on pictorialism?

no. what's that matter? it doesn't, imo. I'm not coming from that angle

if I have a collection i expect myself to know what i appreciate and not need nor want input from others on what i should be interested in looking at

I believe that is what a collection is. Books on the same basic topic, but different in style and content.

yeah, sure. what's the point?

Why does anyone ask any question on this forum? Thanks for your very valuable input. I'll wait for some comments from others who may have something coherent and interesting to contribute to my question.
    because they want to, i guess.
    you're welcome
    but dont thank me and tell me my input is valuable and then turn around and say im incoherent and uninteresting
    thats dumb

remember
    youre the one who is seeking advice on what you should be collecting

thats uninteresting

anyway
    i like food

what should i eat for dinner

Zebra

because they want to, i guess.
    you're welcome
    but dont thank me and tell me my input is valuable and then turn around and say im incoherent and uninteresting
    thats dumb

remember
    youre the one who is seeking advice on what you should be collecting

thats uninteresting

What's uninteresting is someone who's a hammer who can't find a nail to hit--they invariably go around hitting anything else that presents itself.

You consistently twist a fork without provocation which suggest more likely than not a truly uninteresting life--one that is compelled to force interest through conflict on subjects that have nothing but a drive by relevance to you. Like most things 'angry' they take borrowed energy to keep going so I'm sure my response will give you five more minutes of said to move forward in life.

Some folks can never quite get over having those hall monitor powers taken away from them in the seventh grade. Good luck with recovering yours Sun of Sand.

Jim,

I haven't seen the book you are referring to. I would love to hear a report on it if you choose to get it. My own two favorite pictorial books are TruthBeauty which is quite pricey now and Impressionist Camera, Pictorial Photography in Europe 1888-1918. Good luck on your search.

Monty

Monty,

Thanks for the recommendations. If I pick it up, I'll do a follow up here. Hopefully by then the hall monitor will have left the building.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Jim,

I have had a quick look at the book again (first looked at it a few months ago) and think it would be a good addition to a collection if you are looking for a summary of photographers and methods used prior to 1930.

Most of the books I have on pictorialism (apart from Impressionist Camera and Truth Beauty) are by Robinson and Emerson. This gives a good summary and overview of the earlier writings as well as a fair amount about what makes a photograph, art.

If the cost is not too excessive it would be a good addition.

For a sanity check on the price of that book alibris.com has a pretty good used book search engine.

Craig and Jim,

Thanks for the additional contributions.

Jim, The local bookstore's price was pretty close to the low side of those found on BookFinder.com so it seems quite reasonable.

Craig, looks like you have the same books as Monty, so another recommendation for those two. Looks like my library will be growing. Thanks for taking another look at Tinley's book for me. I think I will pick up a copy of that as well.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ