Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

Here's a question: What are some of the improvements to your workflow while out in the field you've been able to make? Things that produce better images, make the process quicker, etc etc.

I'll start with one. I've started slinging my 5D around my neck with a lens of similar FOV to what's on the technical field camera. I'll use the SLR for framing/composition, metering, and looking at histograms. Then I'll set up the 4x5 and fire away. It's been great for saving wasted time on setting up the 4x5 only to find the composition and light range isn't going to work out.

It's worked out better than carrying a little paper window like I was doing before. I could never hold the thing at the right distance from my face to get the right field of view.

Re: In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

Practice practice, practice...

these titles make an OP look like a phony

wow

bad enough at "in the field"
    where else? the actual field or in the studio either way theyre both "in the field"

i now look at the scene in "field of view" to pick my lens
    just draw imaginary lines

i dont like taking a digital cause then i get sidetracked with all the other possible photos
    have a hard enough time just stoppng to take the photo i saw in the first place ..usually skip those i feel are always there and chase after magic moments

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    these titles make an OP look like a phony

wow

bad enough at "in the field"
    where else? the actual field or in the studio either way theyre both "in the field"
    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? It's comments like these that turn many people off of forums. People who ream on others for not using google before posting. People who taunt somebody with less experience and knowledge than themselves. Way to go; you stole the candy bar. I've added you to my ignore list.

Thanks for the advice, anyways.

Sean,

Don't worry too much. At least this is a place where people get passionate about "large format field tips." I would not want it any other way. Nothing like a heated discussion about Pyro or this or that. Here are a couple of links of interest:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=20430

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=field+tips

I think everyone goes through an evolution of field tips starting with things that help like a focal length frame, to radical simplification of focal lengths, etc. I always think it is interesting to see how other people do things, what they carry in their kit, etc. and then try to adapt it for my own needs which are constantly changing. I keep waiting for the point at which I don't need to change anything...

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Sean,

Don't worry too much. At least this is a place where people get passionate about "large format field tips." I would not want it any other way. Nothing like a heated discussion about Pyro or this or that. Here are a couple of links of interest:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=20430

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=field+tips

I think everyone goes through an evolution of field tips starting with things that help like a focal length frame, to radical simplification of focal lengths, etc. I always think it is interesting to see how other people do things, what they carry in their kit, etc. and then try to adapt it for my own needs which are constantly changing. I keep waiting for the point at which I don't need to change anything...
    "field tips". Cool, I couldn't think of a good word for it Thanks for the links, they're a good read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEsopenko View Post
    I could never hold the [viewing frame] at the right distance from my face to get the right field of view.
    It certainly took me some practice. Now that I’m better, I think that the viewing frame is the most useful field tool that receives the least discussion in this forum. (AA calls it a cut-out card in The Camera; see “Basic Image Management.”) I've taken fewer & better shots because of it.

But one must be careful…

It’s useful in isolating elements in a scene by imposing borders roughly corresponding to a particular lens’ field of view, but this instant usefulness can monopolize your attention w/o your awareness that it’s doing so, blinding you to other ways of seeing a shot. In a phrase, it can make things too easy.

This psychological caveat aside, the frame is among the least expensive, easiest to carry, and most useful of field tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails viewing frame.jpg  

Is it true that you can pretty much measure the distance from your eyes to the frame (if it's 4x5 inches) and that's the mm of lens you need?

I completely overlooked the focus loupe until I picked up a cheap, plastic lens 8x one (meant for viewing negatives, I think) from the local camera dealer (their own brand for $12). Man oh man! It's in my right-hand pocket at all times when I go out, now. It gave a confidence in my focusing that allowed me to spend more time on other things.

For the focusing frame, tie a piece of white string to it. Use different colored Sharpie markers to put a mark for the distance of each of your focal lengths from the side of your eye to the frame. For example, 75, 90, 125, 150, 210, 300, 450, 600 mm or whatever you have. Might be helpful to extend the range beyond your lenses so you can better see the results of lenses you have not yet purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEsopenko View Post
    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? It's comments like these that turn many people off of forums. People who ream on others for not using google before posting. People who taunt somebody with less experience and knowledge than themselves. Way to go; you stole the candy bar. I've added you to my ignore list.

Thanks for the advice, anyways.
    lots of people do those things without you ever knowing theyre doing it
    i at least let you know

those people are assholes, though
    im being one because i see you as trying to become one yourself

who speaks like that? In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples?

blink
    twitch blink

only children add people to ignore lists
    lol if no one ever mentioned these things exist i'd never know